• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator Hose Clamps

GTXMoparman

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
I am putting on new Radiator Hoses and new OEM Hose Clamps on my 70 GTX. I have the tool to expand the clamps but it is still very difficult to get these spread open far enough to get them over the hose and then getting them fitted into place. Any suggestions to make this easier? I purchased the OEM clamps from Roseville Moparts along with the hoses.

Last edited:
I am putting on new Radiator Hoses and new OEM Hose Clamps on my 70 GTX. I have the tool to expand the clamps but is is still very difficult to get these spread open far enough to get them over the hose and then getting them fitted into place. Any suggestions to make this easier? I purchased the OEM clamps from Roseville Moparts along with the hoses.
Haven’t done it for years, but you could put the clamp on the rad spout first. Slide the hose on and then install the clamp.

If you can't get the clamp expanded enough to put on the raw hose, then you have the wrong size or very weak hands.

Do as 440 suggests and put them on the spout loose, then install hose and expand just enough to get over the hose. The new repro junk steel doesn't have the return memory of the OE clamps. Spreading them over the hose and spigot hump will leave them without enough tension to seal the hose.

If you can't get the clamp expanded enough to put on the raw hose, then you have the wrong size or very weak hands.

Do as 440 suggests and put them on the spout loose, then install hose and expand just enough to get over the hose. The new repro junk steel doesn't have the return memory of the OE clamps. Spreading them over the hose and spigot hump will leave them without enough tension to seal the hose.
Thank you.

Haven’t done it for years, but you could put the clamp on the rad spout first. Slide the hose on and then install the clamp.
This way is very hard to get the clamp over the end of the hose, much easier to have the clamp up the hose first.

Maybe your pliers are not opening the clamp far nough. I have a pair oh Corbin pliers that has 2 positions for the pliers, much like regular pliers. This way it works great on small and large clamps.

This way is very hard to get the clamp over the end of the hose, much easier to have the clamp up the hose first.
Yep, that's the way I've always done it, a little soapy solution on the hose end helps the corbin clamp slide over easier.

Yep, that's the way I've always done it, a little soapy solution on the hose end helps the corbin clamp slide over easier.
Snap-on Tools made a great pair of Corbin Clamp pliers....a little better leverage, swivel end holding the clamp for positioning.....plus I have always used Permatex red "Hi-tack" sealant on I.D. of the new hose ends for a leak proof fit-up......just a thought......
BOB RENTON

Snap-on Tools made a great pair of Corbin Clamp pliers....a little better leverage, swivel end holding the clamp for positioning.....plus I have always used Permatex red "Hi-tack" sealant on I.D. of the new hose ends for a leak proof fit-up......just a thought......
BOB RENTON
Not sure who manufactured my 50+ year-old pliers. Better stuff for the inside ?
1691026580602.png
Ask me how many leaks I've had on my, or customers, cars. The answer resembles the letter O.

Not sure who manufactured my 50+ year-old pliers. Better stuff for the inside ? View attachment 1503897 Ask me how many leaks I've had on my, or customers, cars. The answer resembles the letter O.
Never used the INDIAN HEAD matetial...preferred High Tack......easier clean up......just another way....BTW....the Snap On pliers are ~ $32.00
BOB RENTON
1691027688408.png

Never used the INDIAN HEAD matetial...preferred High Tack......easier clean up......
BOB RENTON
I was introduced to Indian Head maybe 1972 or so, on a water pump job in the garage. Been using it ever since. I'll use it on anything, short of my peanut butter sandwich ! (Hmm.... wonder how that would taste ? )

Repop clamps suck and lack spring. I threw my set away. I saw someone on here post about getting clamps from McMaster Carr and them working well.

I also have the hose clamp pliers from Lisle that work great with spring band clamps.

Get all of your spring clamps from McMaster Carr! They have Stainless Steel too. Decent prices.

Auto Transport Service
Back