• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio power line and ground wire connection?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
I was under the dash on my 67 Charger and looking to connect the radio. I see a red power wire with a male end on one side of the radio and I see the white ground wire with a male end on the other side. I don't see the corresponding female plug. I have the dashboard wiring diagram in my service manual but it doesn't show any radio wires. Any direction is appreciated.

Also there a green wire with a male plug that is long and may be for the blower fan for the heater. Looking for the right connection for this as well.

Thank you in advance.
red radio wire.jpg
red radio wire with male plug.jpg
Green plug wires.jpg
green plug wires #2.jpg
white wires with plugs on splitter.jpg

The radio grounds through the case of the radio to the dash. On a 66/67 Charger/Coronet it is the dash frame and rear radio support bracket to the case of the radio Since the front goes into a plastic instrument housing.

For power the 1966 Charger radio and auto console shift indicator has electroluminescent Lighting.

Pic1) The radio Power works usually has a dual plug with a red for radio power and orange for power to the radio light. This is for non electroluminescent lighting.

Pic 2) The dual green wires with male and female go to the speaker

Pic 5) the white wires with the red connectors are for the electroluminescent dash lights power wires.

my photo below shows the radio power wire with orange and red.
40D09469-0296-483C-8D7E-2EA5B49A026E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed description. I didn't even think of the new speaker I installed. I guess it was a senior moment!

Glad to help.

You will need to make a jumper to connect to your speaker. Those wires have male and female terminals.

Glad to help.

You will need to make a jumper to connect to your speaker. Those wires have male and female terminals.
Check out this photo of the yellow wires on the underside right side of my dash. I see on the wiring diagram that it is for the right door automatic door switch, which I assume has to do with the cabin lights. A prior owner evidently appears to have spliced anopther wire into the yellow wires or is that correct from the factory? If correct , where does it lead to or connect to? Please advise, if you can. Thank you , again.

yellow wires right side.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back