• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAIDERS!!!!

Ok, no offense to the Texan's; why are the Dallas Cowboy's known as "America's Team"? I'm biased here, as a Packers guy considering the long history since the beginning of pro-football and all the teams relishing holding the Lombardi trophy one day? Smallest city having a pro-football team, Green Bay...Titletown USA, fan owned, John Madden's favorite place to play football...just sayin.

I’m right there with you on why the hell the Dallas Cowboys were ever given that moniker of America’s Team. It rubs me raw every time I hear an announcer or anyone say it. What possesses anyone to think they deserve it - and frankly I’ll wager Texans don’t even know either save the fact that someone once said it - probably during an early SB week and it undeservedly stuck in their happy pants.

And no offense Ron - but while I know you revere the Packers history etc - and who wouldn’t - but I don’t think they deserve it either. To me baseball and football are America’s games and sports fabric. Every fan in every flea bag little town across this great country deserves to feel their team is America’s Team - no one team deserves to be called that. It’s for every little kid on up to us salty old timers to revere our team as a part of Americana and it’s fabric of pro sports. We’re all a piece of America and so are our teams.

Oakland Raiders LB #44 Bob Dougherty 1960.jpg

MY favorite HOF QB & Super Bowl MVP
Oakland Raiders QB #12 Ken Stabler Superbowl 17 MVP winner.jpg

HOF Kenny Stabler

too bad he wasn't alive to enjoy it finally
Oakland Raiders QB #12 Kenny Stabler Dec. 25th 1945 - July 8th 2015.jpg

1960 Media Guide
Oakland Raiders AFL 1960 media guide.jpg

Cotton Davidson 1961 QB
Oakland Raiders QB #19 Cotton Davidson 1962.jpg

Oakland Raiders QB #19 Cotton Davidson 1961.jpg

Darrel Lamonica
Oakland Raiders QB #3 Darrel Lamonica 1967.jpg

HOF Marcus Allen on his 70+ yard run in SB against Redskins
he never did win a SB with KC
Oakland Raiders RB #32 Marcus Allen on 70 yard Run in SB.jpg

Last edited:
#44 FB Marv Hubbard scores a TD against KC
Oakland Raiders RB & FB #44 Marv Hubbard 69-75 TD Against Cheifs 1970.jpg

Oakland Raiders RB & FB #44 Marv Hubbard Signed Trading card.jpg

Rich Gannon a retread from KC & Vikings
was a real winner on the Raiders
Oakland Raiders QB #12 Rich Gannon 2001 NFL MVP & HC Jon Gruden.jpg

I’ve been lubing this thread off the rails; but hey I’m not the only one…so please pardon a few other football reflections: Used to like Dandy Don, Frank, & Cosell on MNF. Those guys were entertaining. I think they broke the barriers with stuffy announcing. Recollect old Howard got into a bit of hot water one night when he was describing and RB, I think it was running for a TD with the like the ball was a stolen watermelon. Lol.
On another note, remembering the dark Packer years, one season I think it was under Bart Starr as HC, Packers had the #1 ranked offense; but last ranked defense…go figure they finished with a .500 season. Occasional thrills – one Monday night against Washington (seem to recall Redskins?) it was the highest scoring game in MNF history. Remember that game well. I think Don called it in the 3rd quarter “Last team with the ball will win. It was, 48-47 Packers.

Lester hayes what a hitter
& stick em' fan, interception guy
Oakland Raiders Safety & CB #37 Lester Hayes.jpg

Huge hitter, feared CB/Safety Jack Tatum
Oakland Raiders Saftey #32 1978 Jack Tatum- Pat's Darrel Stingly.jpg

Art Powell, HOF TE

Oakland Raiders TE #84 Art Powell colliage.jpg

"Rioder" what a shame
but his motor never stopped, a great DE/DL Lyle Alzado
had to come to the Raiders to win a SB finally
Los Angeles Raiders DT Lyle Alzado.jpg

Last edited: