• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAIDERS!!!!

Walter Payton

I don’t know Mario - I always thought of “Sweetness” as a finesse runner not so much of a bruising back. Either way - loved the guy. He was indeed one of the best. A friend of mine saw him pull up outside of a bar in ChiTown back in his playing days. Said he wasn’t a very big guy - just Looked like a regular human. My guy “All Day” Adrian Peterson just recently passed him on the all time list.

I don’t really recall any of the Vikings - old or new as fitting the hard hitting back types. Even “All Day” Adrian Peterson I think of as a finesse runner. They say he’s extremely difficult to bring down because of his speed and incredibly strong legs. If I was to categorize one I would say Bill “Boom Boom” Brown from the hey day years. He wasn’t the break away type - but if you needed 5 Boom Boom always delivered.

These days - and maybe in any era Derek Henry has no equal. He is indeed a Beast.

Let’s not forget “The Fridge”

Budnicks, if I may, I have to ask why are you not a huge Carr fan?
He fumbles way too much, my biggest gripe
he throws '**** up' downfield in the middle,
when hurried for picks, bad decissions
when flustered instead of just eating it
but 'rarely throws it deep to open receivers'
& he has to take way too many unnecessary timeouts,
poor clock management
some because of not checking off/audibling soon enough
(some is the play doesn't get in quick enough, not his fault)
tries to do too much, he's not Manning but tries to be...
(I'm not a Manning fan either :poke: )

He's no Rich Gannon, Snake, Kerplunkit, Lemanaca or even Hostetler

he's what we have, so I support him
many of the current QB across the league 'are mediocre' today
very few great QBs
he's adequate at best, & he has decent stats
not enough wins

Last edited:
then people that like other teams pile on :poke:
Not really - one of our brothers started the thread with a simple statement and then got called on it. Therein lengthened the thread - about 3 guys contributed pretty much all the raider stuff while all the rest wanted to talk about their teams. Should we just start a thread for every team someone likes? Pretty much nothing to do with the raiders being the “it” team and everything to do with guys liking football and chatting it up. :poke:

I don’t know Mario - I always thought of “Sweetness” as a finesse runner not so much of a bruising back. Either way - loved the guy. He was indeed one of the best. A friend of mine saw him pull up outside of a bar in ChiTown back in his playing days. Said he wasn’t a very big guy - just Looked like a regular human. My guy “All Day” Adrian Peterson just recently passed him on the all time list.
All time list of what?

He fumbles way too much, my biggest gripe
he throws '**** up' downfield in the middle,
when hurried for picks, bad decissions
when flustered instead of just eating it
but 'rarely throws it deep to open receivers'
& he has to take way too many unnecessary timeouts,
poor clock management
some because of not checking off/audibling soon enough
(some is the play doesn't get in quick enough, not his fault)
tries to do too much, he's not Manning but tries to be...
(I'm not a Manning fan either :poke: )

He's no Rich Gannon, Snake, Kerplunkit, Lemanaca or even Hostetler

he's what we have, so I support him
many of the current QB across the league 'are mediocre' today
very few great QBs
he's adequate at best, & he has decent stats
not enough wins
. I can’t argue with any of that but I feel that for whatever he might lack in ability he more than makes up for it with his leadership and desire to win games. I think he will progressively improve over the next few years and has already greatly improved the past 5. I would put a franchise tag on him.

I know that place well. It literally straddles the Alabama/Florida line and it’s just off the beach.
Was a cool place to spend a few hours, get some fresh shrimp, look at girls, listen to the live tunes, and piss in the troughs they had. Work friend had a condo on the beach in Gulf Shores; we’d go there every year for a week or so to golf, fish, play with a few nice southern gals, and get numb & dumb…not necessarily in this order. That was in the late 80’s early 90’s; likely the way I remember the place looks different now after a few hurricanes. Remember Stabler being there a few times when we were there. How time flies..

I have been to all the beaches on the East coast and all in the Gulf. I love Gulf Shores the most. Stabler always referred to it as “The Redneck Riviera”.

When you guys think of hard hitting running backs what's the first name that comes to mind?

Earl Campbell. The Ram's Isiah Robertson's bell was probably ringing for days after Earl the Pearl ran him over... If you haven't seen that clip 100 times you're obviously watching the wrong channels...

And since this is a Raider thread it would be a travesty not to mention Pete Banaszak as a hard hitting running back. While he may not be a household name today, back in the 60's and 70's The Rooster was absolute money down on the goal line. 51 career Raider TD's including 2 when the Raiders spanked the Vikings in SB XI.

[/QUOTE

Yes - I stand duly corrected. There’s no one even around Peterson that I thought was there. For some reason I though the great Jim Brown was the one JUST passed and I knew the there were several more to go before the impossible task of catching Emmitt Smith. I guess it was rushing TDs that I was thinking of.

I have been to all the beaches on the East coast and all in the Gulf. I love Gulf Shores the most. Stabler always referred to it as “The Redneck Riviera”.
Redneck country…aha, one night we went to some bar in the sticks, one of the guys lived in GS and talked us into going to this bar off the tourist's path. Had a live band, dance floor, etc. After a couple beers, this gorgeous gal comes up to me asking me where I was from and then wanting to dance, putting her hand on my ***. Well ok sure little lady. Off we go to the dance floor and she’s not discreet about fondling me. As we headed back to the bar, my buddy yanks me aside pert near off my feet, asking if I had a death wish. No clue WDF he was talking about until he nods me to a group of guys staring at me; not a group I would wanna mess with. Come to find out one of the dudes was this gal’s girlfriend and apparently were in a lover’s spat…getting the idea she maybe wanted to make him jealous. Huge friggin dude in bib's with no shirt. Well, as it was I never quite finished the beer on the bar, at the suggestion of one of the bud's in our group who had overheard some chat, we should ditch any thought to hang around till closing time.
She was a knockout; but didn’t want to get knocked out...or worse. Sorry, off the thread's rails; but a momentarily 'fond' memory, of Stabler's Redneck Riviera, lol.

Earl Campbell. The Ram's Isiah Robertson's bell was probably ringing for days after Earl the Pearl ran him over... If you haven't seen that clip 100 times you're obviously watching the wrong channels...

And since this is a Raider thread it would be a travesty not to mention Pete Banaszak as a hard hitting running back. While he may not be a household name today, back in the 60's and 70's The Rooster was absolute money down on the goal line. 51 career Raider TD's including 2 when the Raiders spanked the Vikings in SB XI.
I was curious as to which RB that stuck out in their minds.

One would think cuz he was very light on his feet, but Walter was deceptively strong and he never shied away from a hit...

Redneck country…aha, one night we went to some bar in the sticks, one of the guys lived in GS and talked us into going to this bar off the tourist's path. Had a live band, dance floor, etc. After a couple beers, this gorgeous gal comes up to me asking me where I was from and then wanting to dance, putting her hand on my ***. Well ok sure little lady. Off we go to the dance floor and she’s not discreet about fondling me. As we headed back to the bar, my buddy yanks me aside pert near off my feet, asking if I had a death wish. No clue WDF he was talking about until he nods me to a group of guys staring at me; not a group I would wanna mess with. Come to find out one of the dudes was this gal’s girlfriend and apparently were in a lover’s spat…getting the idea she maybe wanted to make him jealous. Huge friggin dude in bib's with no shirt. Well, as it was I never quite finished the beer on the bar, at the suggestion of one of the bud's in our group who had overheard some chat, we should ditch any thought to hang around till closing time.
She was a knockout; but didn’t want to get knocked out...or worse. Sorry, off the thread's rails; but a momentarily 'fond' memory, of Stabler's Redneck Riviera, lol.
. I swear that sounds like the story from the song Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd! Maybe the song is about you my friend!!! Lol!!!

One would think cuz he was very light on his feet, but Walter was deceptively strong and he never shied away from a hit...

I was just corrected on his position on rushing yards. Sweetness is #2 I misremembered that - it was rushing TDS I was thinking of. It nonetheless a couple of bad assed backs!

Auto Transport Service
Back