• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raising Rear End of 1970 Satellite

JEFF STOLTZ

Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
I had found an old thread in here about raising the rear end of a B-Body. I am also looking at possibly raising the rear end of my 1970 Satellite 1" or 2". I would like to replace the air shocks on the car now with the Monroe coilovers or any other brand of coil over shocks as had been suggested in that forum. Can some tell how to measure the current rear shocks and then figure out which Monroe coilovers I would need to get the ride height I desire? Or has anyone used height adjustable coil overs with the leaf springs to get to the height they desire? I am just getting back into these older cars and looking for some help to dial it in the way I want. I already plan to lower the front suspension a little bit with the torsion bar adjustments and then get alignment rechecked.

What kind of look are you going for ? Because it sounds to me like you want to raise the car about 3-4 inches ? That’s a lot no ?
I actually lowered mine

What kind of look are you going for ? Because it sounds to me like you want to raise the car about 3-4 inches ? That’s a lot no ?
I actually lowered mine
I want the front fenders to be at the top of the tire and the same with the rear fenders. I like a little old school look to the car with staggered wheels and tires.

Re-arch your leaf springs.
This is a good option but I was trying to not get I to that as I believe I already need to replace the rear air shocks as one doesn't hold air as well as the other so the rear of the car is not level. While replacing them I was just going to try and get coil over shocks and not go back with air.

The shocks shouldn't be holding the car up - the top mount isn't strong enough for this and will eventually crack.
The height adjustment needs to be done at the leaf.

The shocks shouldn't be holding the car up - the top mount isn't strong enough for this and will eventually crack.
The height adjustment needs to be done at the leaf.
Is there a helper type spring spring that could be added to the leaf? Or do you need to replace/rearch the springs themselves?

I purchased the coil over Monroe’s and did not like what it did to my pinion angle , replaced rear springs with new ones , which can be made 1” or more up to help with your desires , hope this helps with your decision!

Sounds like you just need a new set of springs?

Forget the air shocks, go with OEM style shocks for a daily driver. Buy new Springs, look for good used here on FBBO (less expensive), or re-arch (least expensive). With new bushings, spacers and such put into your old springs, new may not cost that much more. There are a lot of options for new springs too. Depends on how you plan to enjoy it.
http://ctrrepair.com/spring-service-repair/

ACE65755-FDB4-4B0C-9894-12118AD71676.jpeg
I don’t think new leaf springs will accomplish what he’s after. he wants the lines to be on the tire. I’ve never even seen a b body that high.

These come close but he wants higher from what he said
1F08C5A3-5EC2-4534-A109-EEE87B7F4622.jpeg

I don’t think new leaf springs will accomplish what he’s after. he wants the lines to be on the tire. I’ve never even seen a b body that high.

These come close but he wants higher from what he said
You can order +1", +2", or I believe even a +3" over stock spring set from ESPO and others. I agree though that on a Plymouth B-body, the top of the wheelwell always down into the tire. Dodge has more of an arch in that area.

Last edited:
You can order +1", +2", or I believe even a +3" overstock spring set from ESPO and others. I agree though that on a Plymouth B-body, the top of the wheelwell always down into the tire. Dodge has more of an arch in that area.
Yup same here too I like that lowered look on the rear with half the wheel n tire showing

Just remember, as you lift the car beyond the factory height, one arrived at with many millions of research dollars, the center of gravity changes and corners with speed become riskier.

I replaced my air shocks with stock shocks and didn't help raise the rear. I just ordered new springs and I have a 4-6 week window for delivery. I checked several places and this was the quickest turn around I was able to get.

Hi Jeff,
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that stock shocks would do anything to raise your car. As others said, you want to raise it with springs as upper shock mounts on the body are not designed to be used to lift the car. Air shocks can negate the wonderful thing that is a B Body rear suspension, especially if you want to drag race. Stiffening the rear hurts the traction and can cause the springs to wrap up giving you wheel hop.
Hopefully, the new springs will give you what you want and the stock shocks will give you the ride Mother Mopar wanted you to have.

4F9F0569-4EC2-4FFD-948F-278C3B8237CF.png
83E312CC-2F38-4395-9C61-B0B2389C9B9E.png
54F3FD52-C328-4104-B6CF-631BC0776BF8.png
Is this the old school look you’re looking for, I’m running 5 leafs on both sides and factory type shocks with N50-15’s

My GTX rear sits a little higher than stock for the "Old school" stance. All done by taller rear tire on 15" rim vs 14" on front. Both are the rally style rim, thus not immediately noticed. Ride is very good.

right rear.jpg Driver sidel.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back