• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rallye dash harness question

monroegtx

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a new dash harness for my 70 gtx. It's got a couple of extra bits that the old one doesn't have. I've taken some photo's and hope that someone knows what they are. The two wires with the grommet near the firewall block, blue/yellow and black/red, and the one with the grey plug and the two doubles, dbl green and dbl blue with white tracer. The one with the grey plug has the same colours as the one with the grommet so I assume they're linked. Any ideas anyone? Please disregard the bottom photo's, I can't work out how to delete them. :icon_biggrin:
Harness 1.jpg Harness 2.jpg Harness 3.jpg

Attachments

• Harness 4.jpg
    Harness 4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Harness 5.jpg
    Harness 5.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 306
I've checked my manual diagrams, and I can't see what those wires with the loop end lugs are for. They don't look like anything in my GTX. Only thing that I can think is maybe a circuit breaker - but it could be for power windows, or convertible top (which you obviously don't have). Can you trace the Blue* and Green pairs to either end - ie/ fuse block? to bulkhead connector?
The red/Black and blue/yellow on the grommet maybe for hood amounted turn signals, but the colours are wrong. Did you actually get the correct harness? It almost looks like a mistake was made with some wires there. I did have a spare set of front turn signal wires in my new Front-end lighting loom, but they are easily hidden, and not an issue - same colours as you are showing too.

Hi Kiwi. As far as I can tell I got the correct one, everything else lines up with the old harness. I haven't tried to trace them yet against the diagrams I've got, was afraid of going crosseyed. Hoping that someone here would know.

Since the harness is new, it shouldn't be too difficult to trace out the wires with a meter. Hopefully at the fuse-block end you can see the circuit name to get a clue. Also at the bulkhead end we should get a clue - give us the terminal letter marking (A-Z), and it should shed some light. Only other think I thought of was after looking through your gallery pics, your car is A/C, so maybe it's something to do with that?

Dbl blue traces back to N position on bulkhead. Also connects to park brake light. The dbl green is connected to the lights somehow. The blue/yellow are connected either end but there must be a break in the other one as I can't seem to connect it with anything.

Position N on the bulkhead feeds the "Number 1 splice" - which goes to the Voltage regulator, Alternator Field, and Ballast resistor. That tells me that it connects inside the dash area to either the steering column loom, and/or Emergency Brake warning light, and maybe even the power to the Tachometer if so equipped. Definitely different to my loom which is original.

The Blue/yellow may be part of the headlamp delay/headlamps ON circuit, which requires a plug-in module/relay that your car may not be equipped with.

Sometimes these aftermarket looms throw up a different colour and it does get confusing.

Can you show us a picture of the dash rear - gauge layout etc?
thanks

Last edited:
Can you show us a picture of the dash rear - gauge layout etc?
thanks

Since my original didn't have these I'm assuming that it didn't come equipped as you say. I've also added a wiring diagram which shows 2 green going into a headlamp delay relay, and the blue going into a voltage limiter. I really don't know how to read these things properly so I'm not sure how it applies.
Schematics 2.jpg Guages 2.jpg Guages 1.jpg Schematics 1.jpg

You have a 70 Charger harness for the dash. Those extra wires are all for the headlights, ie electric motor. There are those people that sell "70 B Body" harnesses & say they`re all the same, but they`re not. :icon_frown: I`m not sure if you can use this & let the plugs lay unattached but, I would start with whoever sold this to you & tell them you want a "70 B Body harness, excluding Charger".

Thanks for helping out 6pktgo...it was making me cross-eyed looking for the answers.

You have a 70 Charger harness for the dash. Those extra wires are all for the headlights, ie electric motor. There are those people that sell "70 B Body" harnesses & say they`re all the same, but they`re not. :icon_frown: I`m not sure if you can use this & let the plugs lay unattached but, I would start with whoever sold this to you & tell them you want a "70 B Body harness, excluding Charger".
Thanks for that Fred, good to know that I wasn't actually missing something.
Thanks for your input Kiwi, it was much appreciated.

Yep I believe 6pack is right. Even being a '69, my Charger has a similar extra grommeted plug through the firewall that connects to my headlight harness. In my case I want to say it's for hood mounted turn signals but I could be wrong.

Just a bit of further info for those interested. I rang M & H who make the harness and they confirmed that the extra wires apply to the Charger. They use the same harness for both Charger and non Charger. They said if I just heat shrink over the extra connections to isolate them the harness will be fine. Thank you to those that helped out. Cheers. :VB toast:

Where did you get the harness from?

I suspect he got it from Year One - they have exclusive rights to sell M&H from what I have read. You cannot buy direct from M&H.

The power top switch has a red feed wire coming from a circuit breaker associated with the amp meter then it has a brown & yellow wire going out to the power top motor and that must have a connector on it......power top switch is mounted up above the heater controls. Would think that the harness would be bit different if you have the hood mounted turn signal lights also (I do)...those are fed from a separate feeds through the main bulkhead connector..so depending on what options you have it seems to me the harnesses should be different....but maybe I am wrong....been wrong before.....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a search for M&H and found their web site http://www.wiringharness.com/ Looks like one can order directly from them. You are talking about M&H Electric Fabricators INC right?

I suspect he got it from Year One - they have exclusive rights to sell M&H from what I have read. You cannot buy direct from M&H.

The power top switch has a red feed wire coming from a circuit breaker associated with the amp meter then it has a brown & yellow wire going out to the power top motor and that must have a connector on it......power top switch is mounted up above the heater controls. Would think that the harness would be bit different if you have the hood mounted turn signal lights also (I do)...those are fed from a separate feeds through the main bulkhead connector..so depending on what options you have it seems to me the harnesses should be different....but maybe I am wrong....been wrong before.....LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I just did a search for M&H and found their web site http://www.wiringharness.com/ Looks like one can order directly from them. You are talking about M&H Electric Fabricators INC right?

Yes, that is them....from their website....

M&H Electric Fabricators manufactures concours quality replacement wiring harnesses for Chrysler Muscle Cars. These beautifully made M&H Our complete line of reproduction wiring
harnesses for 1964-'74 Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth Muscle Cars is available through Year One, Inc. exclusively harnesses are the plug and go choice for the amateur and professional restorer interested in the finest quality available.

also

My company is a dealer for M&H, can we buy Chrysler harnesses direct from M&H?

No, Year One, Inc. is our distributor for Chrysler wiring harnesses.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

That's the company alright Soundhd, but as Kiwigtx mentions they only sell the Chrysler harnesses through YearOne. I was surprised that they didn't attach a note saying which wires to exclude if the car is non Charger. They put a note with the harness saying to match it with the old before installation and to ring their tech line if its different. Since there is nothing with the harness telling you that some wires are for Charger only, they must get a lot of calls from Plymouth B body owners. :icon_confused:

Yeah that is kinda weird they wouldn't take note of something like that, especially since the majority of '70 B-bodies weren't Chargers lol

Auto Transport Service
Back