• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram 3500 frame breaks

His truck was overloaded, pure and simple. Instead of buying that truck and camper, he should’ve bought a motor home that’s a diesel pusher.

MOPAR denied the warranty claim due to his specific truck specs and the fact that he was overloaded.

One tons shouldn't be snapping frames. You could throw that slide in on an old 1985 and it would have zero issues. Many say this is thanks to the "crumple zone" mandated on newer trucks.

Had he bought a regular cab short bed, then it would’ve held it.

3.5 tons of camper, motorcycle etc. on a 1 ton. I wonder how much tonque weight he had on it as well. Buy a 5500 next time buddy. I would say the load center is behind the rear axle.

Grossly over loaded and exceeded the structural limitations. Sadly he is going to have to eat it as MOPAR is right not to cover it in warranty. Some people shouldn't be allowed to even do stupid stuff like this...cr8crshr/Bill:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Common sense tells me that he was asking for trouble by putting something that big in a short bed.

There is no short bed standard cab option on 3/4 or 1 tons.
This would make an interesting engineering analysis to calculate the forces and analyze the frame rail strength. Although the load with the camper exceeded the ratings, there is always a factor of safety designed in, and a truck overloaded by 10 or 20% shouldn’t come anywhere near the loading that would cause a catastrophic failure like that frame buckling.
That overloading may be adequate for Ram to deny the warranty claim, but it is still curious as to why the frame buckled.
What was the load distribution with that camper, and its center of gravity? I could see where if it’s behind the rear axle, and of course you’ve got the ISB Cummins up front which weighs 800-900 pounds that puts a lot of bending moment on the frame. Add that to bumpy Mexican roads adding more stress to the chassis.
How about other situations where the center of gravity is behind the rear axle? What is someone is towing a car trailer to a car show with a 3/4 ton CTD Ram loaded such that they have a 800 pound tongue weight, they are vending so loaded the trucks bed and put the heavy items like some engine blocks and rear axles near the back of the bed to make loading and unloading easier. Are they risking buckling the frame?

Been lots of Dodge frames snapping.
Most of them are caused by rust on older Dodge trucks. I started scraping all the flaking crap off the frame of my 2005 Diesel Eam 2500 4x4 . That stuff holds salt and moisture. I am going to send it out and have the frame coated and sprayed inside in the spring.

Most of them are caused by rust on older Dodge trucks. I started scraping all the flaking crap off the frame of my 2005 Diesel Eam 2500 4x4 . That stuff holds salt and moisture. I am going to send it out and have the frame coated and sprayed inside in the spring.
I was talking new ones! I've seen at least 8 of these buckled up photos and they're always Dodges. I haven't seen an F150 or Chevy yet, but I'm sure that someone will pull that off! LOL

I remember when the Cummins pkg got you an extra heavy duty frame. Not these days ...
IMO, if you buy a 3500 dually w/ a Cummins, it should be able to haul that camper w/o issue.

Weakest point of all truck frames is always behind the cab.. most stress too. I’ve seen all makes crack there and even big trucks, wreckers are their own worst enemy. Tie the front off and go pulling and it could pull it self in half. Looks like a gross overload situation.. I will agree old frames are different than these new ones.

It was caused by covid..... well, all the rest of the stupidity these days is being blamed on covid.

I was talking new ones! I've seen at least 8 of these buckled up photos and they're always Dodges. I haven't seen an F150 or Chevy yet, but I'm sure that someone will pull that off! LOL
Do an internet search, there are plenty of 1 ton ford's with frames broke and bent with big campers like that.

I can't wait to see a Toyota with 6500lbs loaded on it 10 feet behind the rear axle. Those Yota frames don't carry a payload, they rusted sitting in the driveway.

Auto Transport Service
Back