• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram 3500 frame breaks

I was talking new ones! I've seen at least 8 of these buckled up photos and they're always Dodges. I haven't seen an F150 or Chevy yet, but I'm sure that someone will pull that off! LOL
When you offer a pickup truck with a driveline that can tow what an 18 wheeler can tow,it needs to have a frame like an 18 wheeler too!

I saw a 3500 with a 5th wheel and a huge camper snap the other way when it lightly rear ended a semi.

That and a bunch are breaking the frame where they mount aftermarket airbags.

You'll have that.. I have 2
96 Dakota's that both have bad frames.

I can't wait to see a Toyota with 6500lbs loaded on it 10 feet behind the rear axle. Those Yota frames don't carry a payload, they rusted sitting in the driveway.
The point is Toyota stood behind the vehicles and replaced the frames without cost to the owner.

But there's only one motorcycle in the double bike carrier on the rear. Shouldn't have been overloaded yet.......
:lol:

The point is Toyota stood behind the vehicles and replaced the frames without cost to the owner.
The Toyotas had a design defect where the frame was susceptible to failing due to corrosion. They weren’t failing due to being loaded over rated capacity. And the problem occurred in rust belt areas, I never heard of any Toyota frames failing in southern or western states.
If a design defect is found that is causing the Ram, or Ford or GM, they will have to replace them, either voluntarily or by recall.

Over the years, I have owned six different fifth wheel campers. The smallest of those, a 20’ that I pulled with a half ton pickup. That camper was small, but I bet it had more living space inside than that slide in. To each his own, but I fail to see the reasoning for having to buy a heavy duty truck for that. Just maybe, carrying motorcycles on the tail end was the straw that broke the camel’s back so to speak.

Here is a good analysis of the loading on that truck versus its capacity.

The frame issue wouldn't surprise. I recall the newer Jeep Gladiators that had some subpar welds on the rear where I think the trailing arms attached too if I recall correctly. Regarding the frame issue that plagued Tacomas, Tundras and Sequoias. I've been looking at those to purchase and it is still a potential that the frame could still rust out even being in the West Coast or Southwest but, the probability goes down given that the frame is being exposed to road chemicals that it wasn't treat for at that current time.

Fun fact about the Toyota frames, I think Dana Corporation was the supplier at time for the frames and there is another brand of vehicles that have a Dana Corporation supplied frame. I believe Jeep Wrangler's from the late 90s or early 2000s suffer from significant rust issues due to the same reasoning if I remember correctly. It was just never recalled at that time.

On the newer Toyota trucks which is the last generation Tundra 2007-2021? they still rust out but, usually the crossmember or a couple of crossmembers will rust out under the bed but, they are easily replaced. On this case, I'm thinking this might be an isolated case. Could a truck built on a Friday before lunch break case as well.

It was overloaded AND it was overloaded for 25,000 miles… Imagine how much heat was generated at the weak point of most frames. It went through multiple heat cool cycles which was being weakened for 25,000 miles!!

Here is a Ford that was overloaded..

4B2F957C-58F9-494D-AE5D-8592D8AE5156.png

I’m surprised they don’t have spring failures before frame breakage.

Sure hope mine doesn't break someday. Can't afford a new truck.

20210904_171159.jpg

20210820_182134.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back