• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Randy's 69 Roadrunner - Savin' muscle 1 at a time.

RGAZ

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been here for a while and told my story to some, but I want to start this thread to keep you updated on the progress. To start, I bought this car in TN in hopes to save it from the crusher. I have seen cars in better shape and the style is nothing special (69 RR post car, 383 column auto, blue), but I wanted a challenge and I sure got it.

So here are a series of pictures that show some level of the "deconstruction" progress. Enjoy!!

Randy

`69 Roadrunner 006.jpg

`69 Roadrunner 011.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

I do remember seeing that car before, Ebay?. I look forward to watching your progress, you have your work cut out for you. Ther are a few projects going on in this forum that will be a great reference for you. Good luck and let us know how we can help.

Wow, looks familiar! I too like to see people tackling these projects that many wouldn't tread near! Please, keep the pics coming, if you want to know how extensive this rust will likely be, check out my thread on my GTX!

Got it on craigslist out of Cookville, TN back June 2008.

Yeah, Donny, I have been checking your stuff. All good. I found a NOS front clip that is at the blaster today. Perfect cowl,

When I get it back I will add pics. I plan on swapping the everything in front of the firewall including the frame rails.

I'll take more and more pics...

Randy

"I swear honey, I put the luggage in the trunk before we left"

Randy, looking forward to watching you project unfold. I see that trusty shelf is still hanging in there....

Prop,

Yep, the tool oil is slowly causing the sag, but she is holding strong.

Got the clip last night. pics attached. Crossmember is probably not salvageable. I may need to buy that new. The rest looks great, radiator support, inner liners, frame rails all are sweet.

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

whats the clip off of, that swaybar dosent look like a b-body unless they had 2 different kinds,unless its I not usually looking at the k-frame from that angle

Thats some project. It makes me happy to see them gettin rebuilt. I just think of all the ones that didnt make it because someone thought it was too far gone.

Some answers and more.

Its a 68 4-door belvedere with the 6 (cheap-cheap). So the k-frame is funky. If you know anyone who wants it or the torsion rods, send me a PM. Otherwise, I get $10 per 1000lb of auto steel.

K-frame is off and I am preparing to remove welds. Also, rear is rust converted and ready for prime.

I have the fender tag if it is of any use. The VIN plate stayed with the salvage location as is required by law.

Existing k-frame removal was a BEAR, one stupid torsion rod was stuck in the frame and the k-frame bolts were rust-bonded to the frame rails.

I will keep the pictures rolling.

"Its not ambition, its patience and the challenge."

Randy

Last edited:
Progress update: 6-17-10.

I cut away most of the rusted issues and completed the dis-assembly of the K-frame. I found the swaybar was bent pretty badly (looks like an accident), so that will need to be replaced, and the door latches were cobbled in so I will have to source a door frame to steal the latch mount. I finished painting the rear, its a bit glossier than I wanted, but it will be fine. More pics:

Randy

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

boy!!When you take on a project,you jump in with both feet.:grin:Can't wait to see more.

Lookin' good Randy, keep plugging away at it, it will be a great accomplishment when you look back on it.

Quite the project Randy; brings back a lot of memories for me. In the '90's I went through a '70 Coronet that was hit hard on the drivers side front; drove the frame rail back, even the trans crossmember was pushed a bit. I replaced the complete front unibody structure on it; radiator wall, inner fenders, frame rails, trans crossmember. I left the donor section in one piece ( the box section like you have pictured ) which made the swap a lot easier. Keeping it as one unit keeps everything square, less chance of altering the diminsions of the chassis. Good luck with it!
Rick

Quite the project Randy; brings back a lot of memories for me. In the '90's I went through a '70 Coronet that was hit hard on the drivers side front; drove the frame rail back, even the trans crossmember was pushed a bit. I replaced the complete front unibody structure on it; radiator wall, inner fenders, frame rails, trans crossmember. I left the donor section in one piece ( the box section like you have pictured ) which made the swap a lot easier. Keeping it as one unit keeps everything square, less chance of altering the diminsions of the chassis. Good luck with it!
Rick

Thanks, definitely keeping the box section in one piece. If the cross member was salvageable it would be even better. To help keep the box square I am going to install the k-frame on it. Right now, i am building a fixture to align the assembly in all three dimensions, and that is going to take some time.

Randy

Auto Transport Service
Back