• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: Mopars don't need to powerbrake

sam dupont

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Was watching a program about two guys building a 512 stroker Plymouth wagon. In the end, they powerbrake and smoke the tires. Why do people do that?
I've found with my Mopars that I can either come off the line at a certain rpm to get a good launch, or I can rev it up and dump the clutch to get excessive wheel spin (burnout). If I want smoke and rubber marks, I don't let up.
If a 512 wagon can't liquify the tires and make a thick cloud of smoke without powerbraking, something is wrong. I could make the smoke they did with an old, worn out Datsun pickup.
As usual, I must be missing something.

RhpQ8NXywctRSYfiyoZf10H6d6wZ9ioS3_Zew0BNSVcJw7e7pFEE3jdhCbhTTzAn70dEagY=w1268-h952-no?authuser=0.jpg

Was watching a program about two guys building a 512 stroker Plymouth wagon. In the end, they powerbrake and smoke the tires. Why do people do that?
I've found with my Mopars that I can either come off the line at a certain rpm to get a good launch, or I can rev it up and dump the clutch to get excessive wheel spin (burnout). If I want smoke and rubber marks, I don't let up.
If a 512 wagon can't liquify the tires and make a thick cloud of smoke without powerbraking, something is wrong. I could make the smoke they did with an old, worn out Datsun pickup.
As usual, I must be missing something.

Amen, brother. If a persons mopar can’t smoke the tires without using brakes then they need to stop posting it on YouTube and fix the freaking engine. Nothing to be proud of smoking tires with the brakes.

You guys are confused.
A “Brake Stand” is sometimes a means to show off. You’ll rarely get the same amount of smoke from throttle only because the car moves forward while spinning.

Hellcat has factory linelock for demonstrations and to clean designated race tires. I’ve keyed the obvious.

Last edited:
My mother in law was at the track one day watching with my wife. Someone had a burnout in progress and she says to my wife, why the hell do they do that??? That's just stupid!!

Morale of the story; don't be an old lady! :rolleyes:

you just put a switch under the dash to turn off your brake lights, simple and you get the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

I wonder if they ever figured out what happened

No matter how you do your burn out......
Foot brake , line lock , or just nail it.
If you have a auto trans please use Drive/ 3rd.
That low gear burn then lift is tuff on the trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back