• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Crap Winnebago Treasure Hunt

If you decide to go with one of the shorter adaptors, there are 2, you can exchange your existing one with GV to get what you want. They do charge for it but it's not the full price. Also they can give the od unit an inspection. They have those available as a reman exchange. This is what I did for mine. I exchanged the extension unit, came off of a C6 Ford, for the mid length 727 unit and had them inspect my od unit. Didn't want to get everything together just to find out the od was toast. It was.

Where do you see a shorty 727? That's the standard 18.5" tail shaft....
Nowhere?!...I didn't even really look at the pics just assumed since many of the RVs had the short ones. Oops!
Oh well, still a nice find if it's in good working shape.

Last edited:
If you decide to go with one of the shorter adaptors, there are 2, you can exchange your existing one with GV to get what you want. They do charge for it but it's not the full price. Also they can give the od unit an inspection. They have those available as a reman exchange. This is what I did for mine. I exchanged the extension unit, came off of a C6 Ford, for the mid length 727 unit and had them inspect my od unit. Didn't want to get everything together just to find out the od was toast. It was.
I may do the exchange thing since I know nothing about this unit's condition.

For my 65, I'm using the mid length adaptor. Don't like the idea of using the long one, 18"?, with having the od unit hanging out in space at the end of it. The short one, don't remember the length, would put the od unit right at the trans x/t-bar x.

IMG_1550.jpeg

There are two adapters... The shorty and the 18.5" which is the one your are showing on your 65... The 18.5 replaces the standard passenger car tail shaft housing...
download.jpg

Before you bury the thing, advertise it for RV parts, it's a goldmine. Think all the LP stuff, 12v converter, 12v lights, water pump, water heater, etc.

I bet you're now a legend in the neighborhood.

And that CB antenna is worth at least 3 bucks.

:rofl::rofl:

I was in the garage earlier to work on the car and took a moment to measure my case adaptor. Its 15.5" long.

Interesting. It's all together. The trans was done by Pro Trans when they were in Lancaster. I sourced the GV stuff from GV since I lived 30 minutes away from them at the time. More new info to file away in the knowledge bank.

Not so thrilling update as far as new treasures. There were a few SW guages but they aren't hooked up to sending units. Long tube headers, who knows what they would fit besides a Winnebago. A mini starter. I did snag this...
IMG_2690 (2).JPG

I know Kern Dog didn't have much luck with the hydroboost experiment, but I couldn't let it go.
Got the numbers off the transmission. Built Dec. 12. 1975.
IMG_2695.JPG

I am hoping this one is heavier duty than the one in my Coronet, as I could send it out to a shop for a rebuild/refresh without having to crawl under the car to pull that one. Tomorrow, I plan on reaching out to the Gear Vendor people to see what kind of exchange plan they have. Hopefully I don't end up upside down in the deal, but it wouldn't be the first time I did something like that.
Edit: An AMC site I found shows the trans to be a truck, medium duty. Not sure what that means internally.

Last edited:
Why do you want to exchange it? Looks like a bolt in deal to me....

Why do you want to exchange it? Looks like a bolt in deal to me....
Good question. I guess just the unknown history. I never saw one of these in person before so I am at a loss as far as how to check it out as far as condition. I would hate to install it to find out it doesn't work. I suppose I could though.

Before you bury the thing, advertise it for RV parts, it's a goldmine. Think all the LP stuff, 12v converter, 12v lights, water pump, water heater, etc.

I bet you're now a legend in the neighborhood.

And that CB antenna is worth at least 3 bucks.

:rofl::rofl:
First neighbor commented on the beast this morning. 80 something year old guy that walks by the house everyday stopped to ask my wife about my new project. My eldest daughter lives nearby and is apparently very embarrassed.

Recycling and repurposing things is frowned upon now? Wth

Recycling and repurposing things is frowned upon now? Wth
To be fair, I have a lot of ugly crap on the back half of my property so the neighbors are probably a little gun shy. Funny thing is, about half of it isn't mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back