• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ray Elder number 96 Daytona getting restored.

Any update on this car?

On another forum, it was revealed that an old West Coast Nascar John Soares built 1971 Plymouth was found and turned into a Petty car! Buyer beware! That makes THREE Petty 1971 Road Runners out of the original TWO built that are restored! And I have pics of an original, back in the day, that don't match ANY of them. Guess everybody wants a Petty car, real or not! :rofl:

There was a similar conversation on Facebook about the Elder car. I seem to recall being shouted down by some friends and family members a couple of years ago. But the facts are that vintage photos always outweigh memory recall.

I am sure the Elder's are nice people and believe their version of the cars history. But the car as configured did not start out at Ray Nichel's shop as the original Charger 500 / Daytona did. It's a race car built on a 1971 and up platform. It has the original front clip and wing.

Last edited:
There was a similar conversation on Facebook about the Elder car. I seem to recall being shouted down by some friends and family members a couple of years ago. But the facts are that vintage photos always outweigh memory recall.

I am sure the Elder's are nice people and believe their version of the cars history. But the car as configured did not start out at Ray Nichel's shop as the original Charger 500 / Daytona did. It's a race car built on a 1971 and up platform. It has the original front clip and wing.

One question asked early on was, How much of the original car needs to be there?
Quick answer - the chassis.
A wing, fenders and nose cone don't qualify.
Note - I didn't mention the hood, since a guy in PA owns it. The original was bent up and deemed non fixable.

Auto Transport Service
Back