• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-body an LX car with a B body?

Donny

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
I've been actually looking for a cheap Charger RT or 300 C, and, thinking the impossible but doable; put my emerging GTX onto a stripped down LX body. I actually can see it in my minds eye, and, when I get this vision I can actually see it happening.

Ive done a lot of work on the GTX so far, but, I'd un-do it to make it fit on a good LX chassis. I know there are a couple of threads here showing the new hemi's in our cars, and even one complete transplant which I'm going to re-read. If I can find a hail damaged car, this would be perfect!

Any one else interested in knocking heads together on something like this?

it can be done . you are talking about trimming the body away from a new charger and dropping the gtx over the top of it correct? basically your grafting the newer floor to your gtx's inner rockers and cowl to cowl example "WEST COAST CUSTOMS" did a show where they graffted a 68 charger over the floor of a 2005 charger i think. my shop could do this conversion

I remember seeing done on tv awhile back. I forget what show, I also have seen threads around with this being done. Off topic but I've been wanting do something similar to an old Vw bug v8 powered :)

well like i said it can and has been done if you would like to make it happen i can accomidate you.

Charger rebody

Check last years Mopar Collectors Guide,Dec. 09, they had a feature on a 68 Charger mounted to a late model 07Charger R/T. Very slick car

I know it can be done, but, my only thing is time, I know I can do it, I've got the tools and all, I like tackling the near-impossible, thus my GTX thread. I'm on the prowl for hail damaged V8 LX cars...

I have been searching all over the net; can't find really anything specific on people that have done this mod, or, even with any 'chatter' about it!

...and what would this kind of car actually be? The donor new car, or, the older one on the outside like a 69 GTX on a V8 LX car? Would it have the GTX vin, or LX Vin?

I remember seeing done on tv awhile back. I forget what show, I also have seen threads around with this being done. Off topic but I've been wanting do something similar to an old Vw bug v8 powered :)

It was West Coast Customs.
They have done three that I know of. Two for one of the stars from Las Vegas CSI. A 67 Chevelle body onto a corevette frame and a 68 Charger body onto a SRT Charger frame, and an old GTO body onto a new GTO frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGiXLUIkEcU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwrq8MZtp0w

...and what would this kind of car actually be? The donor new car, or, the older one on the outside like a 69 gtx on a v8 lx car? Would it have the gtx vin, or lx vin?

use the vin on the cowl of the gtx the donor is salvage or parts anway

What if I buy a perfectly good LX car, and chop it up? Then what's the VIN? I think perhaps the LX car? It could be rather tricky, even ethical as to what car this car would be?

Also, this route could be cheaper in the long run; a dependable and proven car is the LX, a daily driver it could be, and look identical to a 69 GTX with a few tweaks on the outside to give a few cues, subtle cues that it's got a new undercarriage under it.

I looked at plumfloored web site and I can't find any information about this per the suggestion, and talk I've heard that that shop actually did this swap in the past.

With the new LX cars coming out, I bet 'cha the current and even used LXs will be cheaper than they are now.

Plus, all that new sheet metal I bought I could sell off or trade! Since my GTX is a shell of its former self!

Auto Transport Service
Back