• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-plate chrome platted trim moldings

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Any one have a recommendation on repairing/replatting chrome trim moldings? I have a '73 Charger SE. All trim is excellent except the rear corner pieces on both sides in the same top spot. Both have underlying corrosion. Hasn't broken through surface but nevertheless is very evident. Saw a couple on-line but they have same problem.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

I have never had anything chrome plated by these folks.... but I have seen their work in person,
checkout Advanced Plating company, you can google them, but I am pretty sure they are
located in Tennesse. I also agree with post two, Pauls chrome is an excellent place too. As
you probably know... any kind of plating is expensive in these times......

Tri-City plating too

Anything that is diecast is very expensive to chrome if you want it done correctly

Yes it is, had my original ones redone as well. Not much used out there.

Hi,

i can do it my self and I would do all of your pieces but the shipping will be expensive…

I did almost every chrome part on my dads charger.

Here is the tail light trim for example.

Greetings from Germany

5CFBBB22-737F-477E-82A6-E0B4BC60DE97.jpeg

F2ECE5BF-CA61-424B-8E23-F05E3EEEE0FB.jpeg

3A449DA7-DF0C-4DEA-A852-9F0744F3DEE7.jpeg

Anything that is diecast is very expensive to chrome if you want it done correctly
Yes i can agree to that. The normal plating on diecast is copper, nickel, chrome.

To rechrome it, you need to remove all 3 layers of metal in the most cases. Its because over the years the environment attacks the diecast through microcracks.

To do that to diecast is one of the heaviest parts, because there is no really good working acid that remove copper, nickel and chrome without attacking the diecast.

My way to do it was to sandblasting everything (sometimes it was heavy, because nickel is really really hard and in comparison to the chrome layer really thick).

After that I copper plated it and sanded it until all pores were gone. Sometimes I needed to copper plated a piece 3-4 times.

Then polish it and nickel and chrome plated it. So the most work is the removing of old layers and removing the pores.

Sorry for my english, it might be not correct.

If you want anything else to know, ask me

Greetings from Germany
Yannik

Recommend locating a good set on ebay or check parting out options. SE front sections tend to crack. If you send them out, items may fall apart during buffing or plating. Find a better set before you send them out.

Good luck, keep up posted on results

I have never had anything chrome plated by these folks.... but I have seen their work in person,
checkout Advanced Plating company, you can google them, but I am pretty sure they are
located in Tennesse. I also agree with post two, Pauls chrome is an excellent place too. As
you probably know... any kind of plating is expensive in these times......
AVOID Advanced Chrome in TN like the Plague. Scrappy work, and would Not back it. Never again...

Auto Transport Service
Back