• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-use original exhaust tips with new 2 1/2 inch exhaust?

KidCoronet

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
My old, original rusty exhaust got tossed during the rebuild and I'm ready to pull the trigger on new 2 1/2" exhaust, mufflers, etc. I noticed my original chrome exhaust tips are smaller in diameter than 2 1/2" and they originally tucked inside the old, stock 2 1/4" exhaust pipes. They're still in nice shape so I'd like to re-use them and also not thrilled about dropping another couple hundred bucks on new ones if I don't need to. The main concern is whether they'll restrict the flow that far back. The car is a 68 Coronet R/T with the original rectangular tips. Thanks for your opinions!

Recently did this - take that last pieces of pipe for each side and your tips to local muffler shop. They will expand one side or the other to make a good fit. I left them $20 so they could order a pizza for lunch... That small reduction in diameter should not make any difference that far back in the system - the exhaust gas temperature has cooled down and contracted quite a bit by then.

Recently did this - take that last pieces of pipe for each side and your tips to local muffler shop. They will expand one side or the other to make a good fit. I left them $20 so they could order a pizza for lunch... That small reduction in diameter should not make any difference that far back in the system - the exhaust gas temperature has cooled down and contracted quite a bit by then.
Thanks friend! Just what I needed know :thumbsup:

Better off with 2 1/4 tailpipes unless you are at high RPM all the time with a big cam and heads that will flow high cfm

It'll be a street car 95% of the time but I might get it out to the drag strip one day. So it won't be high rpm driven other than the usual street mischief. The motor is a .30 over 440 with a mild port job to the heads. Cam is a .510 lift hydraulic roller, Holley 750, TTI 1 3/4" headers. It just dyno'd at 448 HP with 498 lbs of torque. Are you saying 2 1/4 pipes would be better for bottom end?

1/4" smaller tips that far back will mean nothing!
Besides, factory Hemi cars used 2 1/2 headpipes, and full 2 1/4 tailpipes. Use your 2 1/2 system, and add the tips you want. Your 440 will never know.
Edit: just to be clear, I'd run the 2 1/2, if not 3". But then I'm running 2" headers and a 3 1/2" system on a small block.

Thanks for chiming in on this. I felt like 2 1/2" pipes would be a good fit for my combo and very happy no issues with the old tips! I'm planning on ordering the TTI exhaust system..probably with the H-Pipe.

Auto Transport Service
Back