• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready to start 5 speed swap on 69 Charger

Drive Time-

I've driven the car more this week than all year. The 5sp definatly makes it more driver friendly.
5th gear makes all the difference. At 60 mph I'm at about 2200 rpm. I'm not sure what rear gear ratio is and currently a open(not posi) rear. I plan to put 3:55 sure grip in soon.
The shifts are freaking great. I have had no problems there.Yesterday, Was down right mean to it -slam shifting 2nd and 3rd.Yes, You must use the clutch(not pro shifted or face toothed).I had no problems- no missed shifts.Shifting 2nd to 3rd is spot on. It feels kinda like a T5 but more precise,not notchy like TKO.I hope it proves to be tuff.
The stock 383 pulls ok chirping tires into 2nd but not 3rd.I plan to Change engine too.
I need to find a better solution on shifter. This one works but It's to far forward and to the passenger side. It could be improved.
I put a call in to Ben at silver sport.This time we talked about shifter handle in detail. He emailed me pics of shifter they offer. I went ahead and ordered it.(Credit card goes in freezer next week)
I will be posting detailed pics comparing all the Pistol grip shifter handles. I want to show the difference in handles for everyone to see.Then maybe people doing a swap won't make the same mistake I did.:weg:

You will definitely have the most complete set of Pistol Grip handles anywhere! Hopefully the one you get from Silver Sport is finally the solution. I'd consider making you an offer on one but I'm hoping to just do something made to fit.

I've driven the car more this week than all year. The 5sp definatly makes it more driver friendly.
5th gear makes all the difference. At 60 mph I'm at about 2200 rpm. I'm not sure what rear gear ratio is and currently a open(not posi) rear. I plan to put 3:55 sure grip in soon.
The shifts are freaking great. I have had no problems there.Yesterday, Was down right mean to it -slam shifting 2nd and 3rd.Yes, You must use the clutch(not pro shifted or face toothed).I had no problems- no missed shifts.Shifting 2nd to 3rd is spot on. It feels kinda like a T5 but more precise,not notchy like TKO.I hope it proves to be tuff.
The stock 383 pulls ok chirping tires into 2nd but not 3rd.I plan to Change engine too.
I need to find a better solution on shifter. This one works but It's to far forward and to the passenger side. It could be improved.
I put a call in to Ben at silver sport.This time we talked about shifter handle in detail. He emailed me pics of shifter they offer. I went ahead and ordered it.(Credit card goes in freezer next week)
I will be posting detailed pics comparing all the Pistol grip shifter handles. I want to show the difference in handles for everyone to see.Then maybe people doing a swap won't make the same mistake I did.:weg:

You Planning on selling the A-833 you removed from your Charger. If so i might be interested.

Thanks Guys for the post. I don't know yet what I will do with all the 4sp parts I removed. My car was supposed to be a numbers match car (but I have not verified the numbers). Does anyone know how to tell ? If it doesn't prove to be numbers match all parts are for sale. If it is numbers match I should keep all parts together with the car. If that makes sense ? I do plan to sell all the pistol grips I've collected.
I received the shifter handle from SST. I took a lot of pics to compare. I also ran into more issues to resolve. Check it out-

Shifter Handle Revisited-

The shifter has proved to be a real challenge. Seems that there are a few handles made for different applications but in my case its not just a bolt it on fix.SST had a special adaptor but It didn't bolt up to my transmission. I even made an adaptor and cut down a nonconsole handle. It did work but I had to reach forward in 1st 3rd 5th. So that brings us up to today.
I recieved from SST there TKO Pistol grip for B Bodies.I compared it to my nonconsole cut handle. I assumed the Hurst nonconsole handle and the SST were the same (not at all)both cost $245.I wasn't far off but 4th pic shows how it bends toward driver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 203
Pistol grip Compare-

You 're Right Hyrdgoon it does.
But wait there is more-
While looking at this TKO handle,I compared it to the 70 console handle. The bend toward the driver is the same. Still not the same angle. The hurst would work if I cut it off and drilled holes. It costs $410 for hurst and the TKO was $245.See pics

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I have the New TKO shifter handle .The adaptor ($79) SST sells with the handle for console apps. It won't bolt to my trans. I have a homemade adaptor that I used with the cut nonconsole handle.
I bolted the new Handle to my homemade adaptor. Guess what- DOESN'T WORK!
When I pull back to second gear the handle bottoms out on top of console.OMG! It's not even close.
So I made a new adaptor.see pics

- - - Updated - - -

The adaptor was to offset from where trans pops through tunnel to center of console. Now it also will bring handle up an inch. The mounting holes for handle will tilt it forward toward dash more. Hope that it's enough to get handle off the console in second gear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
More pics

- - - Updated - - -

Adaptor

- - - Updated - - -

Trouble with uploading pics sorry

Got it mounted up and put console back in.
The handle is fitting better now.
Instead of reaching out for handle its right there man. It does not even get near the dash panel when it's in 1st,3rd or 5th.Its high enough to not touch the console in 2nd ,4th & rev.Im happy as hell with the way it sits.:rolling:
But dam there is a new issue. It won't stay in 1st or 3rd or 5th when driving. Keeps popping out of gear. Maybe the console boot is tight,I bolted console down. Its like the weight of the handle is enough to pull back/down on the stick from the 1st 3rd 5th gears.Its so ez to shift it falls out of gear No sheet it's crazy!
I'm going to play around with console and boot.

Turns out The console is the culprit here.I moved console forward about 1 1/4 inches and secured it.this relieved the pressure on the boot and shifter.I Then drove around.Shifts are perfect. Not jumping out of gear. It's Right on the money.

A little more drive time proved it. This shifter handle is the best fit. The pistol grip is In perfect location. The shifts are smooth and reliable. Not so much of long sweeping shifts like before.
I started looking at reverse lights. I also have the rev light indicator under the dash. Neither of these lights have ever worked since I have owned this car.This new trans has rev light switch on side of case. I'll post some pics of what I find.

Auto Transport Service
Back