• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Realistic ‘71 B body weight

Orange71SE

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
I have a 71 charger that will be a street/strip car and I’ve heard these cars are pretty heavy. I would like a goal weight of around 3500lbs with half a tank of gas and no driver. Currently has a 440 with aluminum heads, intake, water pump housing and headers. Currently has weld draglites, Interior will have two plastic bucket seats and original dashboard, no heater box and a fiberglass hood. I’m I being realistic with the weight?

CA1887D9-5D51-473C-BB9E-7F249FD411D9.jpeg

I believe the titles on my 71 Roadrunner and 71 Superbee say 3640. My Mercedes is actually heavier.

My all steel 71 Charger R/T 440 auto came in at 3840lbs, no driver, 1/2 tank fuel, aluminium heads and intake, headers, 17" year one wheels 255/50r17 all round, power brakes and power steer, full exhaust, full interior, heater etc, no AC and no spare in the trunk.

So I see in your picture your car is a sunroof car . Is this the car in ? As that sunroof stuff is extremely heavy but the car isn't that bad people say there a few tons witch is not correct 3800 sounds correct for a 440 car I'd say that sunroof stuff might add another 200 #'s if it's factory stuff if it's aftermarket pop up then never mind 3500 is a easy goal to get to

My 72 4 spd GTX weighs 4050 with full tanks of fuel. Sitting as shipped from the factory w/o a/c.

So I see in your picture your car is a sunroof car . Is this the car in ? As that sunroof stuff is extremely heavy but the car isn't that bad people say there a few tons witch is not correct 3800 sounds correct for a 440 car I'd say that sunroof stuff might add another 200 #'s if it's factory stuff if it's aftermarket pop up then never mind 3500 is a easy goal to get to
It’s some aftermarket thing someone added years ago.

It's doable, with some fiberglass parts imo.
My 72 Roadrunner is #3645 without me in it.
All steel body, Dana 60, 440 w/iron heads, roll bar, factory interior, HVAC system removed and 5 gallons of fuel.

FWIW I saw a 73 Charger at the strip this weekend, it was gutted. I asked what it weighed and I want to say he said 3200. But...he had removed all the lights, gutted the dash, one seat, the front grill was fiberglass with aluminum inserts behind it-no lights or any mounts etc. He hadn't quite gotten to drilling holes but he was close. Aluminum heads and all the bolts ons.

3500 should be doable with what you posted, but a rollbar will put weight back in.
The bumpers and Hood are heavy.

3840 with a glass hood. Over 4100 with me. Low deck 512 with 727 and a Dana.
3500 is a tall order on a 71.

C5C253DD-E6A0-427B-99B8-2856A11E64C8.png

I have a 71 charger that will be a street/strip car and I’ve heard these cars are pretty heavy. I would like a goal weight of around 3500lbs with half a tank of gas and no driver. Currently has a 440 with aluminum heads, intake, water pump housing and headers. Currently has weld draglites, Interior will have two plastic bucket seats and original dashboard, no heater box and a fiberglass hood. I’m I being realistic with the weight?

View attachment 804736
Does your car have manual or power steering?
IIRC, switching from power to manual on my car took off 40#.

With so many variables, the only way to know is to find ya a place with a scale, like a recycling yard (for cans, metal etc.).there's a few in town here and they don't care if you drive over the scale as long as you brought something in to recycle. And, they're required to be calibrated regularly and accurate.

Auto Transport Service
Back