• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper Clearance on 1969 Road Runner?

Ron Ward

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Hey, folks!

Helping a buddy with some sheetmetal work on a 1969 Road Runner. Before final welding of some panels, we want to make sure we have the proper gap around the rear bumper with relation to the quarter panel. Can anyone help us to determine dimensions A and B as shown in the pic below?

bumper.jpg

Don't see how you could have the panels off that much? Does he have the right bumper brackets? If the panels are right with the frame, then you fit the bumper to the body....not the other way around.

Thank you Ron for getting up in the middle of the night to do the reference measurements for me! I think I found the problem: our overhang on the new trunk pan seems to be the culprit: it's keeping us from being able to adjust the bumper brackets up high enough to fit the bumper up high enough. The overhang has cutouts in it that the bumper bracket fits through, and with the overhang too long (tall), the brackets hit the floor pan before it's in the correct spot. More Cutting! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back