• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear cross member alignment.

69RRMFF

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Other that lining up the oval holes in the frame rails ends with the new rear crossmember is there any other tips anyone can offer? I will of course measure between the frame rails and ensure they are plumb horizontally and vertically.

IMG_5354.jpeg

IMG_5347.jpeg

There are a couple issues with the repop crossmembers ...

The main one is the top lip or flange is half the width of the original. Won't be an issue for you since you're replacing all the sheet metal BUT if you were only replacing that piece, it wouldn't cover the holes made when you drill out the original spot welds.

Next big issue is the piece lacks the "dipples" along the top where it overlaps the ends if the frame. This prevents the whole piece from sitting up flush to the rest of the trunk pan.

I thought I had some photos of the mods I had to make but I can't find them but its the area I have circled.

aaaaa.jpeg

There are a couple issues with the repop crossmembers ...

The main one is the top lip or flange is half the width of the original. Won't be an issue for you since you're replacing all the sheet metal BUT if you were only replacing that piece, it wouldn't cover the holes made when you drill out the original spot welds.

Next big issue is the piece lacks the "dipples" along the top where it overlaps the ends if the frame. This prevents the whole piece from sitting up flush to the rest of the trunk pan.

I thought I had some photos of the mods I had to make but I can't find them but its the area I have circled.

View attachment 1564525
Thanks for the reply. The lack of those dimples / joggles are exactly what I was looking for. Without those the ovals don’t line up completely. I thought I may have been shipped the wrong crossmember. This forum is great!

I made those dimples into mine ... sliced the flange where they needed to be then body-hammered them into shape then welded up the slices and massaged the welds with various grinders, etc.. You couldn't tell when I was done. But its annoying that the best repro parts on the market aren't so great after all !!

Auto Transport Service
Back