• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Diff Temp

EngineerDoug

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

Got a quick question on rear diff operating temperature. I have a new Dana 60 from Strange, with 3.54 gears and the True-Trac anti-spin center section. I have over 400 miles on it at this point, and am trying to observe the break-in guidance from Strange (take short trips and go easy for 500 miles). I probably have not exceeded 1/4 throttle, with an essentially stock 383. Auto trans, BTW.

So in general terms how warm should the diff fluid get? I noticed the cover was about 120 deg F after mebbe 18 miles of highway cruising. I would think that is well within normal, but thought I would check in anyway. I just would like to be sure I am breaking this thing in properly.

Thanks!

To many variables to consider. Ambient temperature, gear ratio, fluid capacity, type of fluid, weight, and driving conditions. Your 120 degrees sounds well within limits. I think I would be taking notice anything over 200 degrees.

Anything under 175 is fine, trucks towing will run 200-230 and start to need some cooling help.

I'm not positive, internet search or chemical engineer may prove me wrong, but I believe all oils are designed to get over 212° F. That is the boiling point of water and you want to be able to get rid of any water in the lubricating fluids.

120 is fairly cool and a lightly loaded unit may see 150 and heavier duty use can push up to 180. Keep in mind there's no combustion going in inside so temps will run cooler than an engine and the hotter it gets, the faster the oil will break down. If I'm towing a lot, I like to use a finned cover.....

Stock 383, drive it like a rental. You won’t hurt it. Just don’t try to do a burnout for the first 500 miles

Auto Transport Service
Back