• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end questions

Myasylum

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
I have been noticing a lot of A Body rear ends for sale, but B body rear ends seem more rare.
I have found a lot of carriers but that is it.
I have an 8 1/4. Can I use a 8 3/4 carrier and swap the rest out?
What other rear ends would fit a 72 B body?
Thanks!

I have been noticing a lot of A Body rear ends for sale, but B body rear ends seem more rare.
Thanks!
A body 8 1/4's for sale? And no, nothing swaps between the 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 if that's what you are asking except for the backing plates iirc. Never did that. They are two totally different designs.

There are some C-body 8-3/4 axles that will physically fit in your 72. They may be 1/2" wider or so but will work. You may have to install shims on the springs to get the pinion angle right - no big deal - otherwise bolt in. I can't remember the exact ones. Rear end widths are searchable on the web.

I would look for a later model b-body 9 1/4. Quite a bit stronger than your 8 1/4, fairly inexpensive compared to an 8 3/4, should be a bolt in. There won't be a lot of gear in it however. Probably high 2.something.
There are good hotrod parts available, but they aren't cheap (just like any other rearend).

I would look for a later model b-body 9 1/4. Quite a bit stronger than your 8 1/4, fairly inexpensive compared to an 8 3/4, should be a bolt in. There won't be a lot of gear in it however. Probably high 2.something.
There are good hotrod parts available, but they aren't cheap (just like any other rearend).
The 9 1/4 had 3.92's with a Trak Lok in my 2000 Durango. Not sure how wide it was but it didn't look any wider than most B bodies. Might be something worth looking into plus the spring perches are on the bottom.

You'd want a "light duty" 9-1/4 with 3" axle tubes and 5 on 4-1/2" bolt circle. '70's B and C bodies. Possibly some Dakotas and Durangos but they switched to 6 lugs at some point in the 90's so make sure you check that..

Thanks!
You have a P.M.

Auto Transport Service
Back