• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear leaf spring arc?

Joe Palmer

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! Not sure if you saw our last video where we installed a Yukon 3:73 sure grip center section and green bearings into the Super Bee.

Shameless plug here...

We then took the car out for a cruize and after all the drama we noticed a little vibration. I put the car back on the lift and checked pinion angle. At ride height it was 0. I then checked the driveshaft and the trans tail shaft all read 0. I then recorded the rear axle under acceleration with a GoPro and the pinion angle goes easily to +3. I know there are shims we can put in and I have found the correct length chrome slapper bars (See loves those for some reason) to install.

My question is should there be an arch to the leaf springs? I purchased all new bushings for the leaf springs to change them soon, but after looking at the car on the lift they are almost flat from front to back. All our other leaf spring cars (and trucks) have an arch to the springs, even at ride height....Thoughts?

IMG_2706.JPG

Depending on the car,age and what not the springs should have a arch.
Flat usually means weak.
Beautiful car she got there.

Look in the FSM I think they have measurements in there for the springs when they are out.

something is definitely wrong. you should have an arch. I never used traction bars ever. what springs are in there ? time for new ones. get the proper springs, install a pinion snubber. no traction bars.

something is definitely wrong. you should have an arch. I never used traction bars ever. what springs are in there ? time for new ones. get the proper springs, install a pinion snubber. no traction bars.

They are the stock ones, never touched as my wife is the second owner. I agree we need new ones...Unfortunately she will not budge on the bars (retro hippy chick)

Summit Racing has them @ $152 per side (plus $10ea for oversized) but they list a RH and LH...What makes 'em different?

I installed the Hotchkis kit in my Camaro, both side were the same P/N. Just curious....

Assuming they are the HD factory type springs there will be a couple half springs extending forward on the right one. At least 440 and Hemis did. Possibly 383 RR and Super Bees - not sure.

very nice bee. the springs flatten over time. you can get the leaf packs re-arched at a spring and axle shop, the ones that cater to heavy duty freight. or just buy new but those leafs look like in good shape just flat.

Summit Racing has them @ $152 per side (plus $10ea for oversized) but they list a RH and LH...What makes 'em different?

I installed the Hotchkis kit in my Camaro, both side were the same P/N. Just curious....
Call James at PST, he'll get you the right springs for the car. He's a sponsor here.

Whether the factory springs had a lot of arch or not, the Mopar Chassis Manual mentions that the best handling is achieved with flat springs; they sway less in hard cornering.

Rather have bars (long enough to contact the eye of the spring and not behind it) any day over a pinion snubber!

Some people just add a leaf at a spring shop.
I've added a leaf before too and have even removed them from Super Stock springs. If the leaf I'm adding is the same length as the one I'm going under, I'll cut off a few inches and round off the corners of it....

Whether the factory springs had a lot of arch or not, the Mopar Chassis Manual mentions that the best handling is achieved with flat springs; they sway less in hard cornering.
I can see that....also if you splay the rear of the springs out, it'll aid in a tiny amount of rear steer which isn't a bad thing. The E body cars had that from the factory or maybe it was just the T/A's and AAR's. Don't know....but a good way to get it is with offset rear hangers.

Good for her:thumbsup: It's hers and can have what she likes.
If you do buy new springs PST. Support the ones that support us.
I defiantly will, They didn't come up in my internet search though...weird...

Rather have bars (long enough to contact the eye of the spring and not behind it) any day over a pinion snubber
Nope. traction bars don't belong on a Mopar, and not needed for a number of reasons. Either the proper spring rate for your vehicle with a snubber, or cal-tracs. That's it.

Nope. traction bars don't belong on a Mopar, and not needed for a number of reasons. Either the proper spring rate for your vehicle with a snubber, or cal-tracs. That's it.
I've run cars with snubbers, Cal-Tracs, slappers, leaf link setup, ladder bars and just leaf springs. Of all of those, I hate snubber setups the most. Actually, the way I set up slappers, they don't slap anything because they are setup with the bumpers lightly touching the spring eye at rest.

Snubbers are good for cars with completely trashed springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back