• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Main Seal Fixed!!!

70ChargerRT

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Another win for the rope seal!!! Fixed the leak with the motor out without pulling the crank. Leaked right after a fresh rebuild after the machinist/ engine builder claiming he ain’t never had a 440 rear main seal leak‍♂️ After pulling the retainer out looked like it was leaking from about everywhere. Put in a Mancini and it was still leaking all around the rear main seal itself but not the sides. Figured I’d try a Fast Fish and that was the seal that told me where it was leaking. It was by bypassing in between the seal and the block side retainer if that’s what you call it. I loosened all the caps, raised the crank up. Rolled and formed the rope seal in the retainer cap and then fed it under the crank with a Sneaky Pete. I used the Fast Fish Retainer because it’s just simply the best. I love the No side seals and being able to fill up the bevel sides with The Right Stuff.

Last edited:
Wow Sneaky Pete thats a through back. When doing rear mains before the Neoprene seals mostly Fords and Oldsmobiles ect they had a tool that would form the rope to the block and cap. Kind of a rounded deal to fit circumfrence that you tapped in with a hammer, lightly tapped that is. Could not have one for every engine so I used some bar stock to form it. Cant do it with the crank in but you get the picture. Some engines had a small point or Tit to keep the seal in place. Had a 351 Cleaveland some one went through I dont know how many Neo seals and forgot to remove said Tit, distorted the seal something awefull. I will look at the Fast fish deal and congrats on the fix.

Wow Sneaky Pete thats a through back. When doing rear mains before the Neoprene seals mostly Fords and Oldsmobiles ect they had a tool that would form the rope to the block and cap. Kind of a rounded deal to fit circumfrence that you tapped in with a hammer, lightly tapped that is. Could not have one for every engine so I used some bar stock to form it. Cant do it with the crank in but you get the picture. Some engines had a small point or Tit to keep the seal in place. Had a 351 Cleaveland some one went through I dont know how many Neo seals and forgot to remove said Tit, distorted the seal something awefull. I will look at the Fast fish deal and congrats on the fix.
My buddy is bringing down his Roadrunner as soon as I can get my car off of my lift and we’re going to try this same method to fix his rear main. They’ve tried to fix his leak twice and it sounds like his is leaking identical to mine.

My buddy is bringing down his Roadrunner as soon as I can get my car off of my lift and we’re going to try this same method to fix his rear main. They’ve tried to fix his leak twice and it sounds like his is leaking identical to mine.
Did the rope seal work on your buddy's car ?

Trying a BEST rope seal in a Hemi while in the car. . Will update ya how it goes.

Another win for the rope seal!!! Fixed the leak with the motor out without pulling the crank. Leaked right after a fresh rebuild after the machinist/ engine builder claiming he ain’t never had a 440 rear main seal leak‍♂️ After pulling the retainer out looked like it was leaking from about everywhere. Put in a Mancini and it was still leaking all around the rear main seal itself but not the sides. Figured I’d try a Fast Fish and that was the seal that told me where it was leaking. It was by bypassing in between the seal and the block side retainer if that’s what you call it. I loosened all the caps, raised the crank up. Rolled and formed the rope seal in the retainer cap and then fed it under the crank with a Sneaky Pete. I used the Fast Fish Retainer because it’s just simply the best. I love the No side seals and being able to fill up the bevel sides with The Right Stuff.

Ok, I am dumb, but what is a: sneaky pete, and a fast fish? Dont have pics do you?

Ok, I am dumb, but what is a: sneaky pete, and a fast fish? Dont have pics do you?
Screenshot_20221016-130321_Adblock Browser.jpg

I have one still in the package for when mine needs to be replaced.

View attachment 1358791
I have one still in the package for when mine needs to be replaced.
That one shown does NOT come in the package. The Chinese finger part is NOT on the end anymore when you order it. It is now a small claw type end which is useless as tits on a bull at least in my use.

Did the rope seal work on your buddy's car ?
He decided at the last minute to with the that orange felpro 2 piece seal along with the Fast Fish retainer after taking his rear main off, He thinks his leak was coming from the side seals. He’s supposed to fire it up this weekend. So maybe we’ll find out.

Auto Transport Service
Back