• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear main seal project

Car #4

Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I’m replacing the rear main seal on a 440. So the two piece seal seals around the crankshaft and the side seals seal between the carrier and the block. What seals between the top ends of the carrier and the block? Should I put some Right Stuff on there?
The pictures are the side seals of the carrier I pulled out.

E91A34C6-F5C1-455A-A76E-3A29702BF475.jpeg

97E48C87-B257-4608-A517-D18DF5E2B3B0.jpeg

You are the first person I have noticed who has asked this question. I always do put some on there, but a small amount as it’s going to get squished out.

Don’t put any on the ends of the main seal, un-necessary.

Some good tips on what to watch for. Thanks for posting.

Good video. Let me add a couple more tips. If the retainer is clearanced and breaks through to the oil pan bolt holes. Those holes will require sealer. Studs with sealer would even be better. It wasn't mentioned what to do if the seal halves don't line up. The retainer bolt holes need to be opened enough to allow the retainer to move far enough to line up. The retainer will "float" around the bolts. Off setting the seal (3/16"-1/4") will allow the crankshaft to center the seal as the retainer is bolted down. This brings up another issue. The sides of the retainer may not have the same gap to the sides of the block. For this reason I do not use side seals. RTV fills those grooves instead. I use Ultra Grey. And last. Fill the retainer bolt hole recesses once the retainer has been installed. The pan doesn't completely cover the retainer hole recesses. With this method my seals don't not ever leak.
Doug

Is your 440 stock, does it have ARP studs? Is your engine still in your car? Details man.

I saw this the other day, indexed to just the seal portion...

Product Page

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back