• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Seats

RedBeard

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of the process of removing the rear bucket seats? Any difference between 66 and 67?

Anyone have pictures of the process of removing the rear bucket seats? Any difference between 66 and 67?
No pics, but super easy, the butt- push towards the back of the car while lifting up the front and it comes right out, the back- take the 2 bolts out and its out.

From the shop manual.
1. remove the rear seat cushion
2. remove the bolt and washers attaching locking link to center floor pan cover extension panel
3. remove nuts attaching body half of hinge to the rear floor pan bracket
4. remove the seat back assembly

The pivot that goes into the center console is screwed into the console. But the pivot in the seat isn't bolted to the seat. So you can either unscrew the pivot bolt from the console. Which the shop manual doesnt say to do. Or you can move the hinge out of the body bracket in step 3. Once out of the bracket you can slip the seat back out of the pivot bolt and leave the pivot bolt in the console. You'll need to do a little prying and angle the seat back down on the hinge/floor pan bracket side. I did one seat back by removing the pivot bolt. Then I read shop manual as the pivot bolt is a bit of a pain to unbolt. That's when I gently pried the seat out of the hinge in step 3.

The Charger supplement to the 66 Shop Manual is worth it's weight in gold.

From the shop manual.
1. remove the rear seat cushion
2. remove the bolt and washers attaching locking link to center floor pan cover extension panel
3. remove nuts attaching body half of hinge to the rear floor pan bracket
4. remove the seat back assembly

The pivot that goes into the center console is screwed into the console. But the pivot in the seat isn't bolted to the seat. So you can either unscrew the pivot bolt from the console. Which the shop manual doesnt say to do. Or you can move the hinge out of the body bracket in step 3. Once out of the bracket you can slip the seat back out of the pivot bolt and leave the pivot bolt in the console. You'll need to do a little prying and angle the seat back down on the hinge/floor pan bracket side. I did one seat back by removing the pivot bolt. Then I read shop manual as the pivot bolt is a bit of a pain to unbolt. That's when I gently pried the seat out of the hinge in step 3.

The Charger supplement to the 66 Shop Manual is worth it's weight in gold.
For the record, I took this from a 2014 post on this forum on removing the rear seats. I dont know how to link that post so I copied and pasted this but it is 100% correct. I dont want to get accused of plagiarism and Im not trying to take someone else's work. The member that made this post is Kellycom on here. I hope I dont get in trouble for doing it this way.

Yes but I would like to see pictures. I am mainly asking for those that do this in the future. Pictures are the best.

Yes but I would like to see pictures. I am mainly asking for those that do this in the future. Pictures are the best.
Listen dude its two bolts, calm down......lol, How did you like that bud? Can I still call you tonight? haha got you.

Listen dude its two bolts, calm down......lol, How did you like that bud? Can I still call you tonight? haha got you.
seriously you around tonight to talk?

I have searched and searched, I even looked last night after you asked me about the seats and cannot find on any forum anywhere pics. I will take pics this weekend when I go out to my shop to work on my cars for you.

Calm down :drinks: Just wanting visual means for others in the future. Pictures supply more information than words most of the time.

Calm down :drinks: Just wanting visual means for others in the future. Pictures supply more information than words most of the time.
Oh I'm calm. I'm kicked back at the office. Feet on the desk. Laying back in my comfy chair playing on the internet with charger stuff getting paid to do my hobby stuff. I'm calm....

IMG_20221101_114554902_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221101_114611243.jpg

Oh I'm calm. I'm kicked back at the office. Feet on the desk. Laying back in my comfy chair playing on the internet with charger stuff getting paid to do my hobby stuff. I'm calm....

View attachment 1366843

View attachment 1366844
I might even have a beer with lunch and expense it, I can do that, im calm. Now how about you, I know what your doing, or should be doing....... be honest now. lol

I might even have a beer with lunch and expense it, I can do that, im calm. Now how about you, I know what your doing, or should be doing....... be honest now. lol
arnt you glad we are friends? I keep you young.....Oh... its late, Happy Halloween.

Yeah, but I also have my students. One reason I have not aged in 30 years. Yep, belated Happy Halloween.

Yeah, but I also have my students. One reason I have not aged in 30 years. Yep, belated Happy Halloween.
lol, ill give you a buzz tonight, Ill be in my laboratory working on clusters as I have 7 coming in for work. ugggggg

Anyways.....anyone have a difference in removing the seats in a 67 as compared to a 66? My rear seats have an odd L bracket mounted on the floor near the console that help hold them in place.

I thought there was a slight difference between the 2.. going off a dusty memory bank..
Cannot say for sure though

Yes my 66 also has a bracket with one phillips head screw to remove before pulling the seat bottoms.

Yes my 66 also has a bracket with one phillips head screw to remove before pulling the seat bottoms.
When was your 66 manufactured? Wondering if this was a change during production like the dash and radio knobs. A friend has a 66 and does not have these brackets.

Are we talking about the 1 screw hold down for the bottoms?
or the hinges for the seat backs?

Auto Transport Service
Back