• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear sway bar on my Charger

cdr

Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
bought me a used hotchkis rear bar & put it on today

12998159_1044378858954156_4619230314835135869_o.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one. Let us know if you notice a significant difference.

Nice! Absolutely let us know! I have to redo my front and was curious about rear and if it would help.

Great to see you wrenching on the black beauty again, I'm also curious to hear the results.

I've been thinking about getting one. Let us know if you notice a significant difference.
I would be interest in knowing if you think it makes much of a difference also.

Just adding a rear sway bar is sorta like putting one header on a V8 engine. It makes a difference but the whole car needs to be built with parts that work well together.
With the addition of the rear bar, the rear end of the car will want to remain flatter in turns, maybe even to the point of urging the car to spin out. To really achieve better handling, the front bar should be replaced with a larger one.
For safe, predictable handling, the car should have one of the following choices:
* STOCK front bar, no rear bar.
* Larger front bar, small rear bar.
* Huge front bar, moderate rear bar.
At no time should the rear sway bar be equal to or larger than the front bar.

Oh, also...Never run a rear bar on a car that has no front sway bar!

Looks good cdr

what sizes do you have ?
just curious

I have Addco's {from Summit Racing house brand}
on my 68 RR 1-3/8" frt & a 1" adj. rear...

11255804_875691779156199_6425664344861138280_o.jpg
I already had the 1 3/8 hotchkis front bar, the rear bar is 1in hollow hotchkis on the softest setting, it made the car a little flatter around corners, but this is a street stip car, the main reason i put it on was , my drive way is very steep, & puts the car in a bad twist making the tires rub on the INSIDE wheel well, with the rear bar it no longer rubs, problem solved.

Last edited:
bought me a used hotchkis rear bar & put it on today

12998159_1044378858954156_4619230314835135869_o.jpg
I put one on both my 69' Charger and 69' Roadrunner and it made a considerable difference. I will note that I swapped out my shocks for some Bilsteins too so that helped matters as well. I've read several articles and posts debating the use of sway bars and even talked to a few guys who build Mopars for racing. I have heard that they can cause oversteer if you set them up to stiff but mine have been absolutely great. I have very little roll-steer now and combined with a hotchkis setup in the front end, the cars hug the street. What kind of springs are you running?

I put one on both my 69' Charger and 69' Roadrunner and it made a considerable difference. I will note that I swapped out my shocks for some Bilsteins too so that helped matters as well. I've read several articles and posts debating the use of sway bars and even talked to a few guys who build Mopars for racing. I have heard that they can cause oversteer if you set them up to stiff but mine have been absolutely great. I have very little roll-steer now and combined with a hotchkis setup in the front end, the cars hug the street. What kind of springs are you running?

its got caltrac split mono leafs & bars.

I have stock bars on my 72 charger anyone have a suggestion for what size bars I should get?

Auto Transport Service
Back