• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Window Corner Replacement Question

westie47

Local time
2:10 AM
Reaction score
I’m ready to move forward with getting the rear window repaired so I can put the vinyl top on. I also need to replace the left and right floor pans.
I have a couple of questions for the experienced body guys. Here’s some pics of the rust. I had a trusted guy lined up to do the work but he’s no longer available so I am looking for a shop. I realize it’s hard to estimate but I’d like at least a rough ballpark of man hours so I know I’m not being stiffed.

1. I’m confused on the corner replace my kit from AMD, they have inner and outer corners. Not sure what I’ll need.
2. Do I need to replace the whole filler panel or can I just get the channel piece from AMD?
3. What’s a rough ball park estimate of shop hours that I should expect for a) rear window area and b) floor pan replacement.

D43F71A3-F204-41DC-933C-0CE5788C3E1E.jpeg
1CDFD11F-02EA-4BE2-9187-549E814449A5.jpeg
DBDC2E23-3516-483B-B742-3513F581CAC3.jpeg
3F4B499C-BC13-48E9-9E16-CDB0FB07A5CD.jpeg
035896BB-22A4-409C-BA65-1B8248FCF9E4.jpeg
3B4D9FCD-67D5-418E-8310-6E363537F73C.jpeg
46157526-00A0-44AA-B24F-71CF42FE97A4.jpeg
C6C30954-398F-4671-97B5-DFE8FA6296F9.jpeg

I did that repair on my 68 Coronet back in 2017. I used the right and left outer corner pieces from AMD. I was very impressed with those parts. Looking at your pics , those are the pieces you need. They were nearly perfect. I welded them in. The job came out excellant. You need to really take your time fitting them. As your fitting them, place the back glass in to make sure the glass sits correctly in the channels. Also, before doing any welding check that the window chrome sits correctly in the channels. It's a fit and check job that takes time. I checked the fitment of the back glass a few times as I tack welded the pieces. As far as the the front part of the dutchman , where the trim clips go, you can either patch in with pieces or you can buy the dutchman front strip that AMD sells.

AMD left corner.jpg AMD right corner.jpg

I’m ready to move forward with getting the rear window repaired so I can put the vinyl top on. I also need to replace the left and right floor pans.
I have a couple of questions for the experienced body guys. Here’s some pics of the rust. I had a trusted guy lined up to do the work but he’s no longer available so I am looking for a shop. I realize it’s hard to estimate but I’d like at least a rough ballpark of man hours so I know I’m not being stiffed.

1. I’m confused on the corner replace my kit from AMD, they have inner and outer corners. Not sure what I’ll need.
2. Do I need to replace the whole filler panel or can I just get the channel piece from AMD?
3. What’s a rough ball park estimate of shop hours that I should expect for a) rear window area and b) floor pan replacement.

Here is the cutout I made on the left side. Did the same on the right side.

Here is the left corner cut out ready to fit piece. Did same thing to the right corner.

left corner cut.jpg left corner cut.jpg

Fitting left and right corners and checking fit of chrome.

fitting left patch wth moulding.jpg

Left patch welded in. Right side came out just as nice.

left patch welded.jpg

Last edited:
I cut out all the old filler from 32 years ago. These are the metal strips being fitted in. Cut metal strips from an old air handler I was throwing away and welded them in. The metal happened to be the same guage metal as the car.

fitting pieces into dutchman.jpg

This is what the front of the dutchman panel looked like after I cut out the old fiber glass mat filler. This pic was supposed to be before the metal fitting pic.

rear dutchman before pic..jpg

Finished right side. After everything was done, I put back the vinyl top. Very happy with the way the job came out. The key here is making sure to check the fit of the pieces with the glass and trim.
This whole process takes alot of time do. Cutting , trimming, fitting. I couldn't tell you how many hours I spent.
As far as replacing the front strip on the dutchman; if most of yours is intact then just patch in pieces. If it's all bad then get the AMD strip. In hindsight, I should have probably bought the front piece, but I chose to make my own strips. However, I'm not a professional welder. I borrowed my friend's Millermatic 210 mig welder and everything came out really good. Even a mig welder powered by 110/120 volts will get the job done. Got a lot of good compliments on the work. If you feel uncomfortable doing the task then seek out someone that does this kind of welding for a living.

vin roof 5.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back