• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild stock gauges vs aftermarket?

jmbass98

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
My stock gauge cluster only has a few issues. Good power pack. Probably wouldn't be too much of a price tag to have them rebuilt. But I was considering looking into aftermarket gauges. Egaugesplus makes a mechanical set for '66.

Anyone have experience with these or maybe another set of after market gauges that fits the OG gauge bezel?

EL is a big part of Charger's show car vibe.

Since my car is numbers matching etc and I want to keep it original, I sent my gauge cluster to Auto Instruments www.autoinstruments.com. Was expensive but tik tock tac works, gauges look new, etc. Plus as stated above, I have reused most of the wiring, replacing as needed.
If I were going resto mod I'd seriously consider Dakota Digital

I would send mine to Todd's Restorations. Nothing better than the original EL. One of the "things" that give the 1st Gen cars their unique character.

He posts photos of his work here and it's excellent. He has many prices for different services on his website, so you could get an idea of what you're looking at. His work is good enough that he can probably estimate pretty close from photos and a couple tests.
My power pack is good, but an electronic one is in my future

Please remember that at this time in your cars existence you have the ability to preserve. This ability changes to less as the years roll by. You should see the price we are now paying for the parts we threw away back then that 'were not needed'. There prolly will come a time in your cars existence where you can not find someone with the knowledge and parts to restore certain parts and aftermarket is the ONLY choice. I say restore anything you can while you can, the next owner prolly will have even less opportunity to do what you can do today. jmho

He posts photos of his work here and it's excellent. He has many prices for different services on his website, so you could get an idea of what you're looking at. His work is good enough that he can probably estimate pretty close from photos and a couple tests.
My power pack is good, but an electronic one is in my future
Quite often a diode or capacitor will fix our power packs. Any competent.
person with a soldering gun can put it in. Under a 10.00 fix.
I know of several that have been done, and some are over 20 years old.
Have never had a problem with them being noisy or getting too hot.
Codicil ( couldn’t hear the hum now anyway. Spent too many years in an area where we had grinders, saws and other equipment.
Years ago I sent all the pertinent information to a fellow in the 66-67Charger group. Had met his Dad at the Charger 30th Birthday Party in Bloomington Illinois.
I also only try to relate what I actually know.

When you are ready for a EL new power pack I make them and have in stock. Plug n play. PM me.

Finished the dash rebuild plus new wiring harnesses (dash and engine bay) new charging system and battery and LED light conversion. Including Headlamps. LED headlights worth every penny. Hidden headlamps repaired.

The GuageDoc was extremely helpful with EL power issues and update of tach.

All working and for the first in ownership I can feel confident about driving the car.

IMG_0031.jpeg

IMG_9930.jpeg

IMG_9931.jpeg

IMG_9894.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back