• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding 3 speed wiper motor?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
So, for someone with mechanical aptitude and electrical knowledge, how impossible is it to rebuild 3 speed wiper motors?

My '70 Charger is a 3-speed wiper car...but someone put a 2 speed motor in it at some point, so now, no matter what switch position I use, the wipers are going 110mph. Not a huge deal, I try and avoid rain, but today is supposed to be nice so I took it to work...and hit some heavy fog that I needed to clear off the glass a couple times. Kinda annoying. And...it's not "right", and that bugs me.

"Good" motors, as we all know, are pricey...and my car is not restored. I don't want a glaring, obvious, shiny part in my ratty, all-original engine bay. So, I'm looking at "not working" units for a fraction of the price. Might work...might be DOA...just wondering how big a rabbit hole I'd go down to rebuild one of these if I got one that needed some love?

Talk to the guy by the Knick name Topher, I seen his work at Moparty and really thought it looked good. That being said he may have some good used cores.

I spoke with Bruce Somer last year. He spent a great deal of time with my on the phone trying to walk me though the process. I Finally decided to have him do it, but he was very helpful during our conversation. Great guy.
[email protected]

Cool - so it's a doable process and I won't be pissing $80 down the drain to get a "parts-not working" unit. Main things are money...and patina. My entire engine bay is original - all I did was clearcoat it, and I really don't want a brand-spankin' new wiper motor perched on the firewall!

Bruce has done 3 motors for me now. Fast turnaround, fair pricing, and they look and work great.

I need to get one first. My car has a 2 speed motor in it. (along with wire-nut electrical repairs underhood - I'll be putting a new harness in this winter as well!)

Topher does some nice work, he owns the molds for his gears that he replaces etc., I like him seems like a super easy guy to deal with he will be getting both my wiper and headlamp door motors.

Topher is a good man and luckily he’s local to me. The park function in my ‘64 Belvedere didn’t work and I gave it to him to check it out. He FaceTimed me a few days later to show me that it was now working. It turned out that all it needed was a simple cleaning of the gears and grease. I was somewhat surprised when he told me to pick it up and that I didn’t owe him anything for the repair.

Bruce Somer is first class. Great work, fast turn around, and fair price...nice guy, give him a call. Motors are brand new when you get them back. :thumbsup:

You could put an ad in for used working one. They could go for about 200-250.or Canadian maybe less. Check Nationalmoparts.

Talk to the guy by the Knick name Topher, I seen his work at Moparty and really thought it looked good. That being said he may have some good used cores.
Here’s Topher’s contact info.

4A9641C9-46BB-4560-A2CF-146D34C6E2BF.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back