• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding 69' Road Runner

Dimension

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
My Dad and I just started tearing down his '69 Road Runner the end of December. He is the original own of the car but to me what makes it a rare RR is that it is a convertible. I have been to many car shows and have seen many hard top '69 RR but I have never seen a convertible live. The only place I have ever seen another convertible is online. The car has a 383 in it along with the 4 speed manual transmission.

As of to date we have just finished breaking down the 383 and are now starting to remove the front suspension. We have also started looking for a machine shop so if anyone has any recommendations on a good machine shop on the east side of Atlanta Ga I am open to suggestions. The cylinder walls of a couple of the pistons have some serious scaring so the block will definitely need to be bored out. Which brings me to one of the reasons that I joined this forum. I am looking for suggestions on how to get a little life out of this 383 while not breaking the bank. I was told that the car came with a 3/4 race cam installed from the factory. I have yet to actually try and find any serial numbers on anything to get any kind of specs of the parts. A couple of upgrades that I know are going to take place is the installation of a distributor along with a set of heads and a real carburetor.

I'll start off the demands right now by saying .,..."we want pics "

welcome to FBBO from another road runner guy

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Get yourself a copy of the factory service manual. It shows specs for everything, including the camshaft.

Welcome from Alabama, I have a friend close by that has a real 69 RR convertible 383, 4-speed, with AC. Story goes that the wife wanted a convertible and AC, and he wanted a hot rod.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

good luck with the 69 RR

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten. Best of luck on your build.

Welcome from Illinois! Thanks for sharing your story. It's great that you and your dad are doing this project together. Best wishes to both of you!

Roadrunner art 1.jpg

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome from Ohio can't wait to see the roadrunner

Auto Transport Service
Back