• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding Holley 2300 (Six-Pack)

ladd69

Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
Hey!

I am rebuilding my sixpack and wondering what is that black piece in top of meteringblock?
its broken and there was none in the restore kit i bought.

another question, back side of tower is a port, gasket is blow, whats this port for ?

8E3A2892-EED8-4117-B2DC-3665AA28AC7B.jpeg

B92FE43C-B32F-4D11-8127-51F7FC294E26.jpeg

AA30E707-B588-42D3-8391-5CD7B874F031.jpeg

The back part I do not believe is used in that application. If I remember on some other cars that share that model carb it was drilled for some sort of air idle compensater device.

Correct. Port is known as the "hot idle compensator" You can find them in factory 4bbl Hollys on the side, under a rectangular cover. A little bi-metal strip that opens at some per-determined temperature.

1678485592780.jpeg

Correct. Port is known as the "hot idle compensator" You can find them in factory 4bbl Hollys on the side, under a rectangular cover. A little bi-metal strip that opens at some per-determined temperature.

[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 1431336
YES.....I agree ..... its a hot idle compensator valve....a temperature actuator bi-metal air bleed that opens to add additional idle air to.the fuel mix when underhood temps exceed a certain value, to relieve a rich mixture. Usually found on A/C equipped cars but is used on the Holley R-4144 replacement center carb for six barrel/six pack applications. It wss NOT on the original carbs....just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
The bowl vent baffle stop light to moderate fuel slosh. The older ones were brass, which is what I'd replace it with.

Pic upside down:

1678529147382.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back