• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reccomend thermostat for my slant 6

68_661charger

Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
My 77 truck has a slant 6 that runs and drives great but i dont think the 195 thermostat opens at all. Tried 2 195s that tested well in kitchen. Cool lower hose and warm upper that builds pressure. Also can let it idle with cap off and I see no flow. A 180 will flow visually after a bit and is obvious its opening and closing. Maybe im over thinking this because its October and not July. I also mainly drive truck in summertime. What say you? 180 or 195?
Thanks all.

I am leaning toward 195* in most cases. I think it makes engines happier!
Mike

What does your gauge read? Normal range, hot range? If it's in the normal range, leave it be. It's like installing a wide band O2 sensor n then constantly adjusting carb because it doesn't look right from what others have said. Ma Mopar knew what she was doing.

If you haven’t done it already, I suggest using an IR laser thermometer on the thermostat housing or installing an aftermarket temp gauge to give you a more accurate picture of what’s going on.

What ever you do get a good stat Not one of them Motorad junk. 180 for Me but I live souther than Yall.

No IR or real guage yet just vague original one. Im only messing with this because the other night after tuning and driving around I realized the coolant was real real low from my doing, not a leak. Truck never gave me any indication it had overheated but who knows. Ill just use the 195 for now and switch to 180 in the summer maybe. Thanks everyone for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back