• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received my lifters today

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
I had a hard time locating anyone that had or could produce a set of .904 tool steel, flat tappet, DLC coated lifters. Trend said probably by July and $2500. Comp Cams said Trend makes lifters for them so any ship date shown will be kicked down the road ($1800). So I was told to check with Precision Products Performance Center in Arden, NC. I did this about 2 months ago and they were great to deal with. I ordered them and got them today (and they didn't take my money until they were done). Their lifters were $1200, so saved some money. I also had quick service from Bullet Cams for a new steel cam. Two places with great service for me. Now on to check pushrod length and valve clearance. Maybe this thing will get together sooner rather than later.

So you had to have them custom made? Can you not buy a decent set of shelf flat tappet lifters anymore? What kinda of tool steal do they use

So you had to have them custom made? Can you not buy a decent set of shelf flat tappet lifters anymore? What kinda of tool steal do they use
Well before the pandemic I am sure tool steel coated lifters were probably easier to get. When I decided to replace my old cast cam with a steel cam I had to get hardened tool steel DLC coated lifters. The problem is everyone is behind on production because of lack of material and help. Mine were not special made, just lucky I found somebody that had some but only to finish them. And that took 2 months (but that was fast compared to Trend and Comp Cams). I was also fortunate that Bullet Cams had cores to grind my cam. No longer do the people have anything on the shelf. Very different world out there now.

Man that really sucks I was wanting to start a 440 build to replace my old 383 in my roadrunner, it’s crazy how expensive and hard to find any decent parts for these old mopars has gotten. Seems like companies only want to make ford and chevy parts. Glad you was able to find some. I was hoping to go solid flat tappet on the 440 all this wiped cams and unobtainable parts is sad to hear

Man that really sucks I was wanting to start a 440 build to replace my old 383 in my roadrunner, it’s crazy how expensive and hard to find any decent parts for these old mopars has gotten. Seems like companies only want to make ford and chevy parts. Glad you was able to find some. I was hoping to go solid flat tappet on the 440 all this wiped cams and unobtainable parts is sad to hear
When I started looking there was nothing available. When I called Precision they said we have 4 sets of .904 lifters to be worked on. So that was a no brainer to order them. Didn't ask if they had any left when they called me to tell me that mine were done.

Thanks for telling us,this will help someone here. :thumbsup:

$1,200 for lifters? Flat tappet? I guess I don't understand. I saw whole cam kits for half that price. What is better about these lifters?

$1,200 for lifters? Flat tappet? I guess I don't understand. I saw whole cam kits for half that price. What is better about these lifters?
I do what the engine builder and cam grinder s ay will work with a steel billet cam. The lifters are hardened tool steel and DLC coated. Average lifters off the shelf won't survive. There have been racers who used tool steel lifters without DLC coating and didn't make it through breaking in the cam. For me doing what is suggested by the engine builder and Bullet Cams is what I am doing. I take the advice also from 2 friends who have raced Max Wedge cars for over 30 years. If I were using a cast cam I could use stock lifters.

Ok , A old bodyman has to ask.
What is ( DLC ) ?

It’s a coating diamond like carbon coating

I do what the engine builder and cam grinder s ay will work with a steel billet cam. The lifters are hardened tool steel and DLC coated. Average lifters off the shelf won't survive. There have been racers who used tool steel lifters without DLC coating and didn't make it through breaking in the cam. For me doing what is suggested by the engine builder and Bullet Cams is what I am doing. I take the advice also from 2 friends who have raced Max Wedge cars for over 30 years. If I were using a cast cam I could use stock lifters.
Most steel billet cams I ever see are roller and I’m wondering why maybe you didn’t go that route? Thanks!

Last edited:
Most steel billet cams I ever see are roller and I’m wondering why maybe you didn’t go that route? Thanks!
In NHRA stock eliminator rules I can't use rollers. Max Wedge came with flat tappet so that is what I am stuck using. Rollers would be nice and probably cheaper too.

Stock eliminator, nothing is cheap. Like your Hot Rod Bob, best of luck this year.

Stock eliminator, nothing is cheap. Like your Hot Rod Bob, best of luck this year.
I see you are from KY. When my girlfriend retires I keep telling her we are moving to KY. This winter in MN was brutal, and when in northern MN where the car is stored it was 44 degrees on the 6th of May!

I see you are from KY. When my girlfriend retires I keep telling her we are moving to KY. This winter in MN was brutal, and when in northern MN where the car is stored it was 44 degrees on the 6th of May!
Wow…. MN never been. Have buddy that lives in Wisconsin , went there in late February & there was three feet of snow, told him no way! But beautiful country & some of the nicest people ever met. funny you said the 6th, I got my 57 D100 out of storage after work Saturday, 5pm & it was 70 degrees. I highly recommend KY. There’s a nice drag strip in London KY. I believe the owner is a Mopar man. That’s in central, southern part of KY. Where I’m from Edgewater is across the river on the west side of Cincinnati about 40 minutes away. Also Indy is two hrs away & National Trails is about the same.

Wow…. MN never been. Have buddy that lives in Wisconsin , went there in late February & there was three feet of snow, told him no way! But beautiful country & some of the nicest people ever met. funny you said the 6th, I got my 57 D100 out of storage after work Saturday, 5pm & it was 70 degrees. I highly recommend KY. There’s a nice drag strip in London KY. I believe the owner is a Mopar man. That’s in central, southern part of KY. Where I’m from Edgewater is across the river on the west side of Cincinnati about 40 minutes away. Also Indy is two hrs away & National Trails is about the same.
I have researched KY some. Would prefer that over some other places when I did some comparing. MN taxes just kill people here. Expensive state to live in but quality of life is good. Only one track in MN, and that is up north (Brainerd). Next one is Rock Falls WI and about 2 hrs away. That's as good as it gets here. No Divisional in MN anymore. So it's WI, IA, and parts beyond to go racing. Wow. A 57 D100. I thought my 63 wagon was old.

I have researched KY some. Would prefer that over some other places when I did some comparing. MN taxes just kill people here. Expensive state to live in but quality of life is good. Only one track in MN, and that is up north (Brainerd). Next one is Rock Falls WI and about 2 hrs away. That's as good as it gets here. No Divisional in MN anymore. So it's WI, IA, and parts beyond to go racing. Wow. A 57 D100. I thought my 63 wagon was old.
Wow, you are limited & at odds with weather. I know some racers like racing at Brainerd. Never been, bucket list. Shocked by the news of Bandimere. 2024 was going to be Bandimere or Maple Grove, guess I know where I’m headed now. The 57 is a neat ole ride, everyone loves an ole pick up.

Auto Transport Service
Back