• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rechrome Or Replace Console Plates

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had their 66-68 style console plates rechromed, and if so, who would you suggest? I was trying to find out if it was feasible to send them out, or spend the $650 for a new set.

I’m heavy on the restoration of oem parts, I know there is a guy in Chicago — special t? I avoid overseas parts almost completely, seems every time I see those parts I am not thrilled with them. IMO they maybe better than nothing. I can’t seem to find them on the web.. I know there are at all the shows and had really nice trim parts restored from grills to tail lamp panels — stunning to be exact

With outrageous rechroming prices it would be cheaper to get the repops (which probably won't look as good). But I agree that original is best.

Has anyone dealt with Paul's near Pittsburgh? I sent them some pics of my plates for an online quote. Should be interesting finding out what it will cost.

Has anyone dealt with Paul's near Pittsburgh? I sent them some pics of my plates for an online quote. Should be interesting finding out what it will cost.

Make sure your sitting down when you look at the quote.... Twenty years ago I got a quote of $1100.... And was warned up from that the detail lines may have some bubbles....

When the repo plates came out I bought a set....

60-70 console plates are soooooo much easier to deal with...

I’ve seen rechromed and they all look horrible. The smallest of Pitts on the ribs ends up huge voids. And all the sharp details are rounded off and the entire thing looks like a jr high shop project gone wrong.

Buy the reproductions and be happy

I’m heavy on the restoration of oem parts, I know there is a guy in Chicago — special t? I avoid overseas parts almost completely, seems every time I see those parts I am not thrilled with them. IMO they maybe better than nothing. I can’t seem to find them on the web.. I know there are at all the shows and had really nice trim parts restored from grills to tail lamp panels — stunning to be exact
His name is Bill Petrow, I agree he does some very nice work, not cheap but nice, and no more expensive than anyone else doing the same type of work at this quality. His web site is weird but here it is at least it gives a phone number and email address.
http://special-ts.tripod.com/

I have but not for plates. I’m curious what they would charge too. I did get repops for my 67. They’re actually very nice. Need to cut your tach holes if you have one.
91ECF7CC-97B4-4389-92D7-2D09B1C81FBB.jpeg

Hey Steve, Paul's does Very nice work but very expensive. Any pitting and it goes through the roof. Personally the BE & A ones are very nice and from what I heard the Automatic ones actually fit. The 4 speed ones had serious issues with fitment.

Hey Steve, Paul's does Very nice work but very expensive. Any pitting and it goes through the roof. Personally the BE & A ones are very nice and from what I heard the Automatic ones actually fit. The 4 speed ones had serious issues with fitment.
You were right Brett, got a quote of $1100 for just the shifter plate and glove box door. Looks like I'll be goin with the repros.

Wow. They did one Lil Red Express wheel for me for $500 this year. I was shocked that’s all it was and no one does wheels. I guess pot metal is a real art.

I got prices for a couple of things a few years ago and Pauls was by far the most expensive. Like stupid expensive. Don't know why anybody would use them. If it was me, I would buy a reproduction and call it a day.

I got prices for a couple of things a few years ago and Pauls was by far the most expensive. Like stupid expensive. Don't know why anybody would use them. If it was me, I would buy a reproduction and call it a day.
The reason is the part will look as it did as original verses ground down and a rounded version of what the part use to look like. Keep in mind LOTS of parts are not reproduced therefore drilling and filling pits is very time consuming...

They rattle, have misaligned parts, and collect junk. If mine breaks, I’ll eliminate it. Criminal prices on this stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back