• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rechroming various stuff local or send them out

John H

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
I have a mostly original 67 Coronet 440 rag top that has its original chrome trim throuhout. Much of it is pitted but in great shape. Is it cheaper to send it out somwhere or just have it down locally? I was going to send it out/have it done, a few pieces at a time. (Windshield trim etc)

If your local place produces good quality results why would you send it out? If they don’t, why wouldn’t you send it out?

I am new to the game. I don't know anyone in my area. Just wondering. Also can anyone recommend a chrome company in the Massachsetts area?

Most of the chrome on a 67 is pot metal. Some chrome shops won’t touch it. Your wing window frames are chrome. Emblems are chrome, bumpers, some interior trim. 440 exterior trim has a lot of anodized aluminum. Are you sure the windshield frame is chrome and not stainless?

Local vs not isn’t a choice, you need to find people to work on the parts. Here in PA LiBrandis is local to me, fortunately. They did my pot metal emblems and they were not the best. Paul’s Plating in Pittsburgh is a better choice for that but you’ll pay for it. Local makes it nice so you can cut out shipping.

The best price for bumpers is tri city plating in Tennessee and again you can drop off at various shows in country small parts and pot metal is sky hi no matter who does it

Pitted pot metal can be expensive. It gets dipped to remove corosion. All those pits are now craters or holes. It must be coppper plated. Then solder is used to fill and is then metal finished. Then copper plated. This is where it gets tricky. You have to be careful to maintain the original contours and shape. It takes tallent which costs. When it's hopefully good enough for your expectations, it gets plated. I had the tail light bezels done for my 64 12 years ago. They are pretty good but not flawless. The cost was $400
Doug

racecar 692.jpg

I have 2 front turn signal hsgs.
The hood ornament and it's base out right now.

$200 .

I think i should have it back in the next 30 days .

I would deal local,if possible.Less chance of Loosing rare parts and Cash may get you a Better price. Just Sayin'

Another vote for Tri-City plating in Elizabethton, TN. In the same town, right down the road is R&D refinishing, they do excellant pot metal chrome but hold on to your wallet.

Pitted pot metal can be expensive. It gets dipped to remove corosion. All those pits are now craters or holes. It must be coppper plated. Then solder is used to fill and is then metal finished. Then copper plated. This is where it gets tricky. You have to be careful to maintain the original contours and shape. It takes tallent which costs. When it's hopefully good enough for your expectations, it gets plated. I had the tail light bezels done for my 64 12 years ago. They are pretty good but not flawless. The cost was $400
Doug

View attachment 1581157

Could you please share name and location of that chroming business you used for that?

I have 2 front turn signal hsgs.
The hood ornament and it's base out right now.

$200 .

I think i should have it back in the next 30 days .

Could you please share name and location of that chroming business you used for that?

I am new to the game. I don't know anyone in my area. Just wondering. Also can anyone recommend a chrome company in the Massachsetts area?

You need to get involved in the local classic car hobby. Go to Cruise-In, meets, shows, and/or join a local club.

Make contacts and start networking. Find local business others used and you can see the work they had done with your own eyes in person.

Chrome & Electro Plating-CMF

They did another hood ornament and base for me last year. $85 for both.

I dropped off a 2nd ornament, base and 2 front turn signal bezel assys to be rechromed about a month ago. $200 for all 4 pieces

I hope to have all 4 pieces back in the next few weeks.

PS, they did some trim for my 67 Coronet as well. Came out real nice.
Did several pieces of 1966 Satellite for another member here.
MOST of it came out very nice.

BUT, sadly they ruined the 6 upper pieces of trim for his 66 Satellite . Under my recommendation to use them and it pains me to no end

So I would trust them with bigger or stouter trim. Small fragile stuff. Not so much. Especially stuff thats near impossible to come up with

ornamanets.jpg

2575100.NOS.jpg

Last edited:
I live not far from Paul's- had them do several jobs(I've been doing this for 50yrs +) it's time consuming work so that means $$$ no matter what or where - you need the prep work done correctly/ the low end workers need to love their job - the last 2 bumpers they removed some dents, no rust, beautiful until I put mounting bolts in , they told me to bring them back for a redo - then you really have to think ? did someone rush ? Will they come out OK next time ? I prefer to have them local just if something goes wrong or you need to add a part ! When Paul's was down for awhile, I needed a P.S. Pump done, found another local I never met, did a beautiful job - 1 week turn around but missed a small ding right out front, I never brought it home, they said No Problem on the spot ! Stripped it down, took the dent out and had it back in a week ! It's like bodywork ( my choice to pay bills for a living ) you can't see what's underneath that shine, but it better be right , I probably will want someone nearby that will work with you later on, just in case ( I paid the guy for the pump the 2nd X just for being a stand up guy ) he didn't want the money but he wanted it done right - that reputation is way more valuable - just do the job right ! ( you're starting off good, ask questions !! ) Good Luck with your ride ✌

How about polishing old chrome? Steel wool 0000.? any recommendations on the best way to do it?

Yes, 0000 steel wool and chrome cleaner. I keep Mothers on hand. You can make some pretty bad chrome look much better. Can’t get pits out though.

A lot of guys are using motorcycle shops for chroming of small parts these days. Find who is reputable amongst those cycle shops that are near you. A lot of the BIG chroming shops are being shut down but many small places are getting by since they are small out fits that are falling under the radar. It's been a while but I went with a guy a long time ago to a back alley garage in Reading Pa. who did small parts and he chromed 4 pistol grips and a 69 A-body 4 speed console shifter. Beautiful and he charged $50 each. I am sure it's more today but they looked nice and the hurst lettering was still crisp looking. Just a thought to help you find a chroming source..

Auto Transport Service
Back