• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation for online store - Brake Booster

HeavyJudy

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

We live in New Zealand. My husband has had his '69 R/T Charger for nearly 25 years (longer than he's had me!). It's due a new brake booster and master cylinder.

I've tried sourcing one locally but they all have been out of stock, with ever-changing due dates, and are obviously just on-selling stuff from the States.

The car has been off the road for over year and he's getting pretty down about it

I would love to be able to find one for him online but there are so many websites.

Most of the big sites will ship to New Zealand or there are shipping companies that will send to us on behalf.

So, what I'm asking is, where do you guys and gals in the States (Happy 4th of July btw) recommend buying a booster & master cylinder combo? Which aftermarket brand do you trust? It has to be right because return freight won't be an option.

1969 R/T Charger with disc front, drum rear, I believe he still runs his original Bendix trapezoidal booster.

Thank you

Got mine from Summit. After a long wait from Jeg's who lied to me about the item being 'in stock' cancelled that order.
Verify they have it in stock...wherever you want to buy it..

Yep. True, you'll have to bear the shipping both ways, but you'll get a booster that will work and fit like it should.
Do you have any solid recommendations for a company who can rebuild?

Or has anyone rebuilt themselves? My husband is mechanically minded. I understand the booster is tricky to pull apart?
Also open to recommendations of quality rebuild kits there will be local companies who could rebuild but would want to make sure they get the right diaphragm etc (or whatever it's called). Sorry I know some stuff but not everything

Well.....Booster Dewey was the place to go to. Dewey retired and his partner Steve took over for a few years and then sold out to a guy named Mike around 2021 I understand. I've had Steve build boosters for me but I have not used Mike so I can't really vouch for him from personal experience but perhaps someone here on the forum has used them recently.

I have also used Booster Dewey, aka Power Brake Booster Exchange, for rebuilds of my Bendix booster. Very happy with the results. Haven't used them since the change in ownership. Maybe check their online reviews for recent feedback. Good luck!

That is probably a double diaphragm booster. Your best bet as dadsbee said rebuild it. Booster Dewey as copper67sat is one and west coast. Buying an after market booster can be hit or miss.

Auto Transport Service
Back