• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rekey Door Locks?

SMS68

Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Earlier in 2022, I bought a complete lock set via ebay. It was advertised to be a matching ignition and door lock set along with matching trunk and glovebox set…resulting in the standard two-key set for my ‘71 Road Runner.

I installed the ignition lock and glove box latch this past summer but the other parts were set aside for later. This weekend I noticed that the ignition/door set actually had two sets of pentastar shaped keys. One for the ignition and one for the doors.

Anyway, I don’t want to pull my column apart again, and I’d rather not have 3 keys for the car. Is there any way to have the door locks rekeyed to match the ignition?

Edit to add: The seller responded and is going to work with me and their lock supplier to come up with something…so at least I won’t be out of pocket.

9AB80936-AEF3-4D1F-AA0E-4E0535720C5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Look for a locksmith in your area. They can re-pin the tumblers.

Look for a locksmith in your area. They can re-pin the tumblers.
I wondered if that was something locksmiths still did. It’s must be a dying art with key fobs being so common.

I can do it if you want to send me the two tumblers and the key you want them matched to.

I can do it if you want to send me the two tumblers and the key you want them matched to.
Thanks for offering! I’ll see if I can find someone local first though. Might even try it myself if I can find an assortment of pins.

Door locks are real easy to re-key.

There's a "how to" posted somewhere on FBBO.

The biggest potential issue is that unless you have a couple of spares laying around, you may not have enough of the proper length pins to get all of the pins matched up.

I've made a few sets work with the existing key with only 4 pins installed. Works but is technically easier to pick the lock.

I did find a few threads and pictures. I have the original door locks that I could use to cannibalize pins from. If I can’t find a local smith, I might be learning a new trick LOL.

Just sit down with one (or two), and a egg carton to separate the pins by length.

...and start with one pin until the key turns, then move on to the next.

Pretty soon you will be correctly guessing what size pin to use based on observing the depth of the cut on that portion of the key.

...and smile as you pat the $250 you saved from paying a locksmith.

Some good news is the the company I purchased the set from, Hydro-E-Lectric, is stepping up and sending me a new set free of charge.

That’s rare customer service in this day and age…

Now you got spares and no excuse not to try re-keying one of the "expendable" door locks.

It's a skill that doesn't get used often, but it's GREAT to have.

Now you got spares and no excuse not to try re-keying one of the "expendable" door locks.

It's a skill that doesn't get used often, but it's GREAT to have.
That’s the plan exactly! I could take my steering column apart and put the new ignition lock in but I’d rather try re-keying the doors. One of my sons wants to get involved so I’ll let him him learn along with me…

I use an egg crate (or more recently, a pill/weekday organizer for "seniors") to sort the pins by size.

Auto Transport Service
Back