• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relay diagram

MWbirdLOVER70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, got some help installing a relay this weekend for my vacuum pump for my power brake booster and thought I might share my experience with others who as I was green to adding one. I’ve done electrical and related but admit adding a relay WTF I’m gonna fry my whole car down but with the help of Panora and others it was basically plug and play. Once you deceiver the numbers and can wire. Its actually straight forward. So by the numbers we go or at least with the help of Google.
On a 4 pole auto store relay there are 4 numbers
30= 12 volt power which you should add an inline fuse
85= Ground
86= switched power, which in my case was a keyed on circuit at the fuse box
87= The device which is being powered and in my case the vacuum pump
I’m hoping this can help others when adding a relay to something they power up. Im no electrical guru but with others on here sharing I began to learn a new skill set. Thanks my brothers on FBBO you guys are a wealth of knowledge

I’m adding a rotary vein pump next week. I will be adding a relay as well . How did your install go? Did you use a reservoir as well? Thanks..

My install other than I wish I woulda taken the front bench seat out to make getting under the dash easier went well ( my fat *** lol)No res, my pump keeps the booster supplied well enough. I know I coulda ran manual brakes but like the power for when the wife takes the car out and can stop with power brakes

Hi all, got some help installing a relay this weekend for my vacuum pump for my power brake booster and thought I might share my experience with others who as I was green to adding one. I’ve done electrical and related but admit adding a relay WTF I’m gonna fry my whole car down but with the help of Panora and others it was basically plug and play. Once you deceiver the numbers and can wire. Its actually straight forward. So by the numbers we go or at least with the help of Google.
On a 4 pole auto store relay there are 4 numbers
30= 12 volt power which you should add an inline fuse
85= Ground
86= switched power, which in my case was a keyed on circuit at the fuse box
87= The device which is being powered and in my case the vacuum pump
I’m hoping this can help others when adding a relay to something they power up. Im no electrical guru but with others on here sharing I began to learn a new skill set. Thanks my brothers on FBBO you guys are a wealth of knowledge

My experience is it's an IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard ...or.....ISA (Instrument Society of America) designation or i learned using NEMA (National Electectrical Manufacturers Association) symbology.....it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable using.....they all relate to the same thing......
BOB RENTON

Thanks guys. Just passing on info I learned from another member and wanted to share and help others

My experience is it's an IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard ...or.....ISA (Instrument Society of America) designation or i learned using NEMA (National Electectrical Manufacturers Association) symbology.....it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable using.....they all relate to the same thing......
BOB RENTON
I like the "Back to the Future" way of remembering the numbers - start 85, and there are 3 movies (hence 85,86, 87) .....Doc Brown goes back 30 years. :D

Understanding Relays & Wiring Diagrams | Swe-Check

btw, 85 and 86 can be indistinguishable reversed, but just as a ”standard” procedurement, 85 uses to be used as the ground and 86 as the trigger from signal source on a standard configuration.

however, the signal source could be a ground signal to trigger the relay… and also, 30 prong could be used to source a ground or negative signal, because the device to feed gets a constant positive device and turned on by ground… I.E.: your dome light.

so as far you understand the relay, you can use in anyway you want. It can be even used in opposite direction, and the 30 prong straight to the device and switching between two input sources at 87 and 87a… I.E.: two diff voltage rates. Or even between negative and positive.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back