• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the Hot Rod Magazine 383 build?

My guess is to keep piling additional content on YouTube as it probably pays much better than the shop....
I enjoy the videos each week. I just wonder how much the price tag is on having a Hemi built there. If that's what it takes to keep old school muscle going let him continue. I'll wait till all the parts of that build are there. I bet he figures a way to squeeze a few more ponies out of it.

I enjoy the videos each week. I just wonder how much the price tag is on having a Hemi built there. If that's what it takes to keep old school muscle going let him continue. I'll wait till all the parts of that build are there. I bet he figures a way to squeeze a few more ponies out of it.
I’ve only watched two of his videos so I have no idea how much he charges. Any exposure for this old iron is a good thing. I just can’t take all the other stuff in the videos. I have zero interest in old Camaros and letters from viewers...

Thanks. I had forgotten about that one.

2002....... so that was a little before the big lifter debacle.
The article states how the motor pulled cleanly to 6200 with that cam.
I’ll be interested to see if Nick has the same kind of success with it....... using what’s currently available for lifters.

In 2005, using a cam from the same lobe family, Dulcich’s 440 wouldn’t pull past about 5600.

That's an excellent 383 street cam. Bet you get decent MPG too.
Don that is good to know, but I had a bad one and I will never buy another MP cam. Looking at the Lunati catalog they have one close 268/457 I think.
PRH seems to prefer longer slower ramps to the new fast rate of lift cams. Again there are two similar Lunatis. One is 265/277 with 216/228 at .050 and 454/480 lift. The other is 256/262 with 213/220 at .050 and 454/475 lift. I am considering one of these cams and I wonder about the advantages of less overlap, more cylinder pressure versus being easier on the valvetrain?

If he had a lazy customer who wanted a hydraulic flat tappet which would he use???

Thanks. I had forgotten about that one.

2002....... so that was a little before the big lifter debacle.
The article states how the motor pulled cleanly to 6200 with that cam.
I’ll be interested to see if Nick has the same kind of success with it....... using what’s currently available for lifters.

In 2005, using a cam from the same lobe family, Dulcich’s 440 wouldn’t pull past about 5600.
I reckon all he's going to change is the intake when the identical one to the Hot Rod build comes in, then
tune things from there - and he's already taken the 383 to 6k, so there's that.

I want to know when were going to have a retrofit electronic actuated valve head so we can change “cams” with a loptop and get rid of all the pesky valvetrain parts...

I want to know when were going to have a retrofit electronic actuated valve head so we can change “cams” with a loptop and get rid of all the pesky valvetrain parts...
I don't know how old you are but I don't look to see that one. My friends Buick Grand National is still a mystery to me. His wife drove it to a dyno party a few years ago and he hooked a laptop to it, punched a few keys while they were strapping it to the dyno and presto 840 HP out of that little 6 cylinder. That was over 200 HP more than the Pontiac he drove out there that was basically a race car.

I don't know how old you are but I don't look to see that one. My friends Buick Grand National is still a mystery to me. His wife drove it to a dyno party a few years ago and he hooked a laptop to it, punched a few keys while they were strapping it to the dyno and presto 840 HP out of that little 6 cylinder. That was over 200 HP more than the Pontiac he drove out there that was basically a race car.
I’m 52. The technology is here. Someone just has to make it cost effective. I seriously doubt I’ll see it hit the aftermarket in my life time but who knows.

From the same time frame as the original HR build:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/26.html

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/25.html

.030 over 383, TRW’s, stock rods, cast crank from a 400, unported 906’s, solid cam.

Tested:
stock intake
Rpm intake
1-3/4 headers
1-7/8 headers
Underdrive pulley
Elec water pump
Oxygenated fuel
Cooler engine temp
13 carbs

Over 80hp from best to worst, without touching the long block.

I think it was 114 pulls.

Last edited:
What I remember from that Moparts build when I was reading that many moons ago

How bad the Edelbrock 750 cfm performed on the Dyno compared along side those other carbs

So with all this Cam and Lifter talk - Valvetrain

My 383/432 I have talked to a few of you about RPM issues around 5200-5400 , sometimes it was much earlier - That’s been resolved

My ignition issues have been fixed with a new distributor this spring (Distributor Shaft bushings wore out on old Chrysler unit) And ignition wires

However the fact is , you know it , I know that my Comp Cam lifters are done by 5200-5400 RPMs when manually shifting my auto

Am I leaving HP on the table ? Sure feels like it

Are there better options on hydraulic lifters running the Comp Cams XE275 HL ? Or is it just a matter of a new camshaft and lifters so I can consistently run or pick up 200-400 RPMs without my eyes fixed on the Tach all the time on the street - 3:91 Gears , RPMs come on very fast especially on the highway

My 383/432 I have talked to a few of you about RPM issues around 5200-5400 , sometimes it was much earlier - That’s been resolved

What’s been resolved? The part where it was sometimes much lower?
(Since you say it’s still done at 5400).

This 383 used a solid lifter cam.
The cam has less lift, and has less high lift area than the cam used in the HR article.
The cam is not a .904 lifter design.
(Look at how solid the power is still at 7k)

I was thinking of some of the solid lifter cammed motors I’ve been involved with in the last several years, where I was pretty happy with the results.
Specifically motors that got non-904 cam designs used.
I’ve been pretty happy with all of them.

The number of hyd cammed motors(flat or roller) I was equally happy with?
None.

ADAB7C0C-F5BB-4B32-9BD3-D1AF27314C26.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably about 8-10 years ago I did some repairs on a set of iron BB heads, and sold a customer a cam for his 446-6.
What I tell people who are wanting to use the fast rate .904 cams is, they will make good power up to the limiting rpm of the valvetrain...... which, if you’re running adequate spring loads ends up meaning the “lifters”.
So, he was on board with that.
He got the same cam used in the HR article...... the XE285HL.
The car runs strong......has gone mid-11’s in a full weight 70 B body.
But...... it won’t go over 55-5600.
This spring it developed a loud tick on one valve.
The hammering finally killed the lifter.

86849A14-5E2D-4C39-BF82-84BB06183E58.jpeg 981E87A2-C6EA-446A-921B-3675C7732C12.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back