• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remote Controlled Go Wing?

The way to go would be having a fiberglass wing molded around the working mechanicals. Then you could run a steel shaft through the blade of the wing and contain the actuating rod within the upright of the wing (thinking superbird here). The go-wing could just use a rod coming up by one of the legs and not be very noticable.

Wonder if you can find a small pivoting joint with a screw type inside to attach the rod to. Look at the rods for the front diffusers the sport compacts use. They are adjustable and you could rig it to fit your motor.

How about a Heim joint on a rod? Attach a small bracket to the underside of the wing, attach the heim joint and rod. Then it goes down to the actuator motor to raise or lower it.

How about a Heim joint on a rod? Attach a small bracket to the underside of the wing, attach the heim joint and rod. Then it goes down to the actuator motor to raise or lower it.

Exactly, thanks couldn't think of the name heim

How is a motor going to raise and lower it? A Heim joint can't rotate.

If the brackets are made like I think they are, all you gotta do is get one semi circular gear made, mount it to the bracket on one side. Get a high torque 12V motor and mount it to the inside of the trunk lid. Small hole in the trunk lid RIGHT next to the pedestal with a grommet. Come off the motor shaft with a small drive shaft to the semi circular gear and stick a worm gear on the end of the shaft to mesh with the semi circular gear. Remove the bolts that secure the wing from moving, as the worm gear will now hold the wing in place. Wire the motor to a momentary switch with OFF in the center and forward and reverse on each side. Done deal.

There's another snag to plan B. :( I was thinking of mounting the drive motor on one of the low areas of the inside of the deck lid, that way there would be no screws showing on the outside of the lid. But, that would mean water could run in through the outer hole and well up in the voids between the upper and lower section of the deck lid, and we all know how that would end up.

If I mount the motor to the upper part of the lid, I can use a gasket to seal the motor to the lid, but I would need to have two screws showing on the outside, and I don't like that either.

Hmmmm...

How is a motor going to raise and lower it? A Heim joint can't rotate.

You can still use your screw method because the ros is threaded on the lower side also. The heim joint replaces the fixed nut you had originally thought of.

No electric ,do as the fly by wire aircraft and use hydraulic servos to move flight surface.

You can still use your screw method because the ros is threaded on the lower side also. The heim joint replaces the fixed nut you had originally thought of.

The problem is something has to rotate to make the threads on the driveshaft move the shaft up and down. Either the shaft needs to rotate through a nut, or the nut has to rotate around the shaft. If the shaft is fixed, like with a heim joint, then I would need to find a way to rotate the nut, which would be no easy task. ;)

Keep shootin down ideas and sooner or later you'l be left with a stock fixed wing.

:headbang:Get ahold of member Wilde Racing, he can make you anything you need. But remember he's not a machinist, he can just make anything he wants out of a piece of metal.

The problem is something has to rotate to make the threads on the driveshaft move the shaft up and down. Either the shaft needs to rotate through a nut, or the nut has to rotate around the shaft. If the shaft is fixed, like with a heim joint, then I would need to find a way to rotate the nut, which would be no easy task. ;)

It is quite simple. I will start at the motor that you originally wanted to use.

1) Attach a threaded rod to the motor so when the motor turns, the rod provides screw action
2) Screw the rod into a hollow shaft threaded on both sides internally
3) Attach a heim joint with a jam nut to the top side of the hollow shaft
4) Attach heim joint to bracket
5) Attach bracket to wing

Now, when the motor turns one direction, the rod will rise, and the heim joint accomodates any alignment issues. When the motor is reversed, it obviously goes the other direction. We have a moble antenn for Amateur Radio that uses this method to tune it. A motor moves the tuning arm up on a screw, and then the other way too. The antenna is properly called a "Screwdriver Antenna". :)

It is quite simple. I will start at the motor that you originally wanted to use.

1) Attach a threaded rod to the motor so when the motor turns, the rod provides screw action
2) Screw the rod into a hollow shaft threaded on both sides internally
3) Attach a heim joint with a jam nut to the top side of the hollow shaft
4) Attach heim joint to bracket
5) Attach bracket to wing

Now, when the motor turns one direction, the rod will rise, and the heim joint accomodates any alignment issues. When the motor is reversed, it obviously goes the other direction. We have a moble antenn for Amateur Radio that uses this method to tune it. A motor moves the tuning arm up on a screw, and then the other way too. The antenna is properly called a "Screwdriver Antenna". :)

Okay, now I see where you're going. Now the question is where's a source for a small tube that's threaded on both sides and a heim connection that's long enough and with the right threads? Threads are a royal bitch on projects like this. I used swag poles for a flying lever ghost project last year, and they use a very unique thread count. :(

Okay, now I see where you're going. Now the question is where's a source for a small tube that's threaded on both sides and a heim connection that's long enough and with the right threads? Threads are a royal bitch on projects like this. I used swag poles for a flying lever ghost project last year, and they use a very unique thread count. :(

You might as well just give up the ghost dude. No matter what anybody suggests, you negative it all up. Caint find the tube this, very unique thread that. Damn man, you really don't want to do this, do you?

maybe a shaft and some universals or gears eminating from the trunk going up inside the stantion
you could use what ever elec motor you needed then... one one vertical shaft that connects to the horizontal wing

Fishing line tied to your wrist. That's how Penn & Teller move stuff by magic. :sunny:

Wow... I had no idea you were such a sensitive guy! Ok, I promise from now on I'll implement every idea you come up with. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I did a couple of mock-ups over the weekend, and the problem, as suspected, is binding at the motor. The mounting point on the wing moves forwards and backwards as the wing goes up and down and the drive shaft needs to move forwards and backwards with it, both at the wing mounting point and at the point it mates with the motor.

I'm thinking of cutting a groove in the wing, and rigging up some way for the connector to slide up and down it without binding. Sure beats cutting a groove in the trunk lid. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back