• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal of 71 dash

68383GTS

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking of pulling out my dash in my 1971 Road Runner this winter to paint and detail.I parted a 1972 Charger a few years back and if I remember right I did not have to remove the windshield to take out the dash,like on the 1966-1970 B bodies.Does this sound right?Can I pull the dash without pulling the front glass?My 71 has an aftermarket heater A/C box.Does anyone have pictures of the firewall under the hood on the passenger side?I am not sure but I think my firewall may have been modified for the new heater A/C box.I want to put a stock heater box back in the car.

Thanks for the help Guys,Jim

If you can't see the bolts in the defrost vents (like an E body) then you'll probably have to pull the windshield

On 71-74 B-Bodies it's incredibly easy to remove the entire dash. Drop the steering column, find all the correct areas to disconnect the wiring harnesses, disconnect any cables, etc., and any misc. items. Look under each end of the dash, and you'll see a tab hanging off of each end that is being held by a nut. Loosen these nuts, but no need to remove. Now, move to the top of the dash along the windshield. You will find a series of hex headed sheet metal screws, (you may have to remove the speaker grille to get to them). When you remove these, the entire dash will simply rock back into the car and you can lift it off of the studs.

I thought it wasn't to bad but just cold not remember for sure.I do have a brand new aftermarket heater- A/C box so it is tight.I want to replace the heater-A/C box with a stock heater box also.My pad also has 2 small cracks so time to replace it too.
Thanks for the help,Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back