• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMOVE AND REPLACE PRESS FIT ALTERNATOR PULLEY

Ray Bolden

Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing out my stock v-belt pulley system and replacing it with a serpentine belt kit. The kit that I'm using is from March Performance. Here's my problem; the stock belt pulley is press fit as is the supplied serpentine pulley from March. I don't think that I'll have much trouble removing the v-belt pulley but I'm not sure how to install the replacement serpentine pulley. I'd appreciate suggestions from others who have solved this issue.

You need to either heat the pulley to around 200 degrees or disassemble the alternator so you can press directly on the shaft...

Thank you for your response. That was kind of what I was afraid of. I don't have a press in my garage so I'll probably search the Yellow Pages for alternator repair and go from there. Thanks again.

Do you have a hot plate? And thick leather gloves?

Do you have a hot plate? And thick leather gloves?
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try putting the new pulley in the oven for a while? I'm thinking that I might try something like that that's non invasive, and if it doesn't work, I can still go to a shop for help.

you can go the heat route but you better get it right or the pulley can get stuck hafe way on. look for a alt/starter repair shop they can swap the pulley and test and replace any needed parts

IMO...
IF you intend to press the new sheave on, the alternator must be dissembled, so the rear half of the shaft exposed (the part of the shaft that fits into the caged needle bearing). The shaft assembly is arranged vertically in a press, with the end of the shaft on the press bed plate. All pressing forces are against the bed plate and the sheave being pressed on thru the shaft Failure to do this usually results in breaking the front housings and or front bearing.
Just my opinion, of course.
BOB RENTON

Take to a SHOP and while you are at it replace bearings with top line units
polish slip rings test diodes cleanup with new brushes and good to go for a long time

I'm pretty sure they make pullers/installers for this, at least I know they make one for P/S pulleys. OTC makes mine.

I'm pretty sure they make pullers/installers for this, at least I know they make one for P/S pulleys. OTC makes mine.
Not the same no threaded shaft
The alt needs to come apart to press pulley on

Auto Transport Service
Back