• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Front Brake Drums

bobs66440

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
I know that the studs need to be pressed out to do this, but can I reuse the studs in the new drum, or do I need to replace them. I also read somewhere that the splines (swages?) need to be ground off before pressing them out? Can someone run me through the procedure as if I was an idiot (like I am sometimes).

Thanks!

I know that the studs need to be pressed out to do this, but can I reuse the studs in the new drum, or do I need to replace them. I also read somewhere that the splines (swages?) need to be ground off before pressing them out? Can someone run me through the procedure as if I was an idiot (like I am sometimes).

Thanks!

Are you talking about separating the drum from the hub? To remove the studs just get a punch and a hammer and knock the studs through. When you put the new drum onto the hub, just knock your old studs back into the holes. You can re use them as long as you don't mess up the threads when knocking them out. No grinding required.

Are you talking about separating the drum from the hub? To remove the studs just get a punch and a hammer and knock the studs through. When you put the new drum onto the hub, just knock your old studs back into the holes. You can re use them as long as you don't mess up the threads when knocking them out. No grinding required.
Yes, I am just looking to replace the drums. I had heard that just pressing (or pounding) them out will ruin the hub on these types. I know on the newer type with splines, you can just knock them out like you say, but supposedly these are different. The swages on the studs will supposedly gouge out the hole in the hub and ruin it.

NO, that will NOT work. The studs are swagged to hold the drum to the hub. Once the swagged part is ground down then the drum can be removed from the hub. If the same hub is to be used for the new drum, you do not have to knock the studs out at all. If you try to knocked the stubs out of the hub/drum assembly without grinding, you will only destroy the drum and most likely will mess up the studs too. If you look at the studs where they go through the drum, you will see how it looks....

NO, that will NOT work. The studs are swagged to hold the drum to the hub. Once the swagged part is ground down then the drum can be removed from the hub. If the same hub is to be used for the new drum, you do not have to knock the studs out at all. If you try to knocked the stubs out of the hub/drum assembly without grinding, you will only destroy the drum and most likely will mess up the studs too. If you look at the studs where they go through the drum, you will see how it looks....
I am replacing the drums, so I don't care if they get ruined. So I can just grind the swages and reuse the studs. Then the drums will just slide on and off in the future like the rears?

sorry for the bad info, I guess any mopar drum brake I've had to knock studs out of had already been pulled apart, I've never had any issues. But, very good info to know.

I am replacing the drums, so I don't care if they get ruined. So I can just grind the swages and reuse the studs. Then the drums will just slide on and off in the future like the rears?
Right. Just leave the studs in place and grind away the swagged area. Try not to grind into the stud any at all.

sorry for the bad info, I guess any mopar drum brake I've had to knock studs out of had already been pulled apart, I've never had any issues. But, very good info to know.
I learned this the hard way many moons ago when I tried to replace a couple of bad wheel studs. If they are still factory (which many are not these days but I still have a couple that are), they are not exactly easy to get apart. The factory studs for the rear are also pressed into the axle flange just like they are for the front hubs only the fronts have shoulders that are a bit longer for the swagging operation that takes place once the drums are installed.

Auto Transport Service
Back