• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Gauge Plastic from Bezel

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
I'm working on a '62 Plymouth dash bezel. The gauge windows are glued to the bezel at spots as the photos show. Has anyone got advice on a way to remove? Thanks!

Ply Dash Beh2.jpg Ply Dash Beh1.jpg

That isn't glue. We call those "Heat Pips", or "Heat Stakes" in electronics, and they are like the tits on new tires. When Two or more pieces are put together, the first piece has this pip, and the rest only have holes. After assembly, a hot punch (or whatever) is pressed against it to melt it while compressing it. After cooling, it can look like glue, but is really like plastic welding. Anyway, cut off the melted globs, and replace what you need to, then put it back together, and apply a glue or epoxy to re-attach them.

let me know how it goes, I am a couple steps behind you in the process. Love to know how to finish the front side also.

Thanks! I had started to explore removing by scraping around the pin with a sharp probe being careful of course. A rather fruitless effort. Then though about a dremel grinder but that seems kind a risky on the ancient plastic. If you have thoughts on a good tool or method please lemme know.

Use a razor blade like an ice scraper, being careful, and try to just remove the deformed pip. It is old plastic, so just take your time, otherwise, you might as well just use a hammer... :thumbsup:

Ha, ha - I got a bunch of hammers that should make for a quick finish to the project. I had another idea on heating a pick to melt around the pin. Will see.

Auto Transport Service
Back