• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing trunk lock from 67 GTX

Gary Spaid

Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
To replace the trunk lock on a 67 GTX is it necessary to remove the rear trim?

I guess it all depends on if the lock bezel is under or over the trim. I think you can access the back of it through the inside of the trunk. Remove the lock clip and see if it slides out.

No guessing needed. if the lock bezel is still attached to the trunk panel then the whole panel needs to come off. LOOK at the lock, can you see the whole round face of the cyleinder or is part of it covered?

Based on a picture I have of mine, it looks like the top of the lock is obscured by the trunk panel so it likely needs to come off.

20200428_192739.jpg

20200428_192739.jpg

Part of the bezel is covered. I wonder if I could change it the cylinder without removing the lock?

thanks @copper67sat for the photos. If it is covered by that bezel, then the entire panel needs to come off.

No you can work on the lock while it is in the lid. No room.

Don’t worry, just do it, you could have had it off already, it is very easy to remove with 1/4” drive ratchet and extensions. There are access holes in the lid.

I changed the trunk lock on my Satellite without removing the rear finish panel. It's easily doable. I may have loosened a couple finish panel fasteners, *head scratch*, but it was a relatively quick job.

IMG_2042.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys, I did the little trunk lockset change out. FYI the trim attaching nuts are 3/8". Had to loosen the trim quite a bit but did not have to actually remove it.

Auto Transport Service
Back