• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement of gnarly oil pan - Ed's next mini-project

I’m going to be tackling an oil pan gasket soon (&/or a rear seal).
I’ve heard before about that center steering link being a BEAR to remove. Any additional *hints*, other than BFH? Lol. Does one use a *tie-rod folk* to separate the center link?
BTW, on my 383, I’m hoping that the windage tray comes off without removing the oil pickup tube... does anyone know?

I use a separator like this to break steering links loose..tap it into place and turn the bolt with a 3/4" wrench. They pop right apart (sometimes with fury...be careful)
11931903_ptl_w83022_pri_larg.jpg

The tray should come off fine without taking the pickup out, provided you have space to rotate it some as you pull it away from the block(should have plenty of room down there).

Tie rod fork works ok. Before I owned one, take two 2 lb hammers and smack both sides of center link where tie, pitmam etc tapers are. Nuts should loosened 5/6 turns first. Its like clapping hammers on the side of the tapers.

Tie rod fork works ok. Before I owned one, take two 2 lb hammers and smack both sides of center link where tie, pitmam etc tapers are. Nuts should loosened 5/6 turns first. Its like clapping hammers on the side of the tapers.
I will try that technique. Thanks!

I use a separator like this to break steering links loose..tap it into place and turn the bolt with a 3/4" wrench. They pop right apart (sometimes with fury...be careful)
View attachment 801022

The tray should come off fine without taking the pickup out, provided you have space to rotate it some as you pull it away from the block(should have plenty of room down there).
Where can I get a “separator” like that?
Do you have a particular source & part number?
Many thanks!
Rick

Where can I get a “separator” like that?
Do you have a particular source & part number?
Many thanks!
Rick
A buddy gave that to me, I don't think it was anything special..probably from napa or sonething?

Auto Transport Service
Back