• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement rear shocks for 1966 Charger

Rowdykiwi

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm wanting to replace the old rear air shock absorbers that are on my 66 Charger, Any advise on correct make and models for the replacement.
Want to put in some lowering blocks also, would this affect the type of shocks required?

Many years ago I had replaced all the rear leaf springs, torsion bars as well as shocks on my 66 Charger. Used the standard recommended shocks all the way around. I did not care for the feel of the standard shocks on the rear, however the standard shocks on the front felt fine. Decided to try Monroe " Load Leveler " shocks on the rear. Made all the difference in the feel of the car, quite pleased with them. Can't give any advise on lowering blocks. Part Details

Many years ago I had replaced all the rear leaf springs, torsion bars as well as shocks on my 66 Charger. Used the standard recommended shocks all the way around. I did not care for the feel of the standard shocks on the rear, however the standard shocks on the front felt fine. Decided to try Monroe " Load Leveler " shocks on the rear. Made all the difference in the feel of the car, quite pleased with them. Can't give any advise on lowering blocks. Part Details
What size tires are you running on the back?

Cooper Cobra 225 70 R 14's. Before the coopers, same size BF Goodrich TA's

295 50 R 15s .... may have to stick to air shocks.

1697573016232.png

Last edited:

View attachment 1541677

View attachment 1541677
What are those funny Chevy looking things in front of tire. I had our springs rebuilt and raised an inch at the rear bumper.
215x70 x15 on the front. 275x60x15 on a 8”rim,T/A’s on the rear, don’t have any front wheel rub. Remcharger has 295x50x15 on a 10”rim on the back. Had springs redone. He might correct me on my tires and his.

What are those funny Chevy looking things in front of tire. I had our springs rebuilt and raised an inch at the rear bumper.
215x70 x15 on the front. 275x60x15 on a 8”rim,T/A’s on the rear, don’t have any front wheel rub. Remcharger has 295x50x15 on a 10”rim on the back. Had springs redone. He might correct me on my tires and his.
Are you referring to the "yellow" things? Picked those up years ago at a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealer near here years ago. Had to try them out.

Auto Transport Service
Back