• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Cabin Clutch Pedal Spring 1971 Charger?

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Anyone change the clutch pedal spring lately in their 4-speed Dodge or Plymouth? I'm talking about the spring inside the car. The big one that attaches to the pedal. I would like to know the best way to go about it without breaking something. If you have some tips or know of a video on the subject please let me know, and thanks!

I assume your car does not have one right now.

Clutch pedal up, stick washers between the coils to keep them separated... Put the clutch pedal to the floor, disconnect the spring from the pedal... Done, have a beer...

Thank you everyone. It's still in the car. But for a while now I have had to use my foot to bring the pedal all the way back up after each shift. I've done all I can with the torque shaft and the springs and bushings and adjustment rod on the engine side. I figure maybe the 53-year-old spring inside the car could use a replacement.

Did you check your throw out fork pivot and or retainer clip for cracks or deformation? I doubt it's the spring...

Thank you everyone. It's still in the car. But for a while now I have had to use my foot to bring the pedal all the way back up after each shift. I've done all I can with the torque shaft and the springs and bushings and adjustment rod on the engine side. I figure maybe the 53-year-old spring inside the car could use a replacement.
The spring isn't the problem... It's what's know as an over center spring.. It helps pop the pedal up the last couple inches, but past 2" it helps push down on the pedal....

If you have a diaphragm clutch you need to remove the spring..

I just installed the spring in my 64 Belvedere. I used the washers and stretched it out with hooking the spring to a floor jack and then pumped the jack up until the washers could be inserted.
I still have all my fingers.

Wild RT--not following you. Sounds you are right are right But can you elaborate?

Diaphragm clutch loose the spring..
434-1153986283.jpg

OE style clutch keep the spring...
60588499_L1000_9df4090e-4e68-4ba9-ac3d-7964a2bc62c7.jpg

Got it--thanks for the photos. They explain everything. I had the clutch changed about 15 years ago and I don't recall which type was installed. But I know my throw out bearing has been making noise for a while now. So maybe its time to change it all out. I'll keep that new pedal spring on the shelf for now.

While I have you here, do you have a recommendation for valve cover gaskets for the 440?

Again, thanks for the reply!

Got it--thanks for the photos. They explain everything. I had the clutch changed about 15 years ago and I don't recall which type was installed. But I know my throw out bearing has been making noise for a while now. So maybe its time to change it all out. I'll keep that new pedal spring on the shelf for now.

While I have you here, do you have a recommendation for valve cover gaskets for the 440?

Again, thanks for the reply!
:lol: Totally missed this... Leaking valve covers are often a combination of valve covers that aren't flat, valve cover surfaces on the head that aren't flat, exhaust heat cooking the valve cover gaskets.... And gaskets that can't deal with all those problems...
I've tried many types of gaskets, some last longer but in my experience they all fail... My solution? I run a solid cam, I remove the covers once a year to check valve lash & I install new gaskets....

Auto Transport Service
Back