• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Speed Nuts

JR_Charger

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know what the size/thread of the dash pad studs are (for the 72 Charger specifically, but I bet all B-bodies are the same)? I'd like to replace the speed nuts (aka pal nuts?) with a real nut. Speed nuts are next to impossible to get off if they decide not to engage the thread. They don't engage well with a socket either. It's not a big issue if you have a good shot at the nut, but Chrysler used these things under the dash where they're hard to get at.

On a related topic, one of the studs for my driver's side fresh air vent has mangled threads (speed nut won't tighten). I don't know if I can get a thread chaser on it, or if a thread chaser is the tool to use on such a small stud. How can I clean these threads up?

Speed nuts do not use any standard thread so replacing them with a standard nut is out of the question. And you'd never get a die on those studs anyway.

Yeah - friggin PAL nuts, don't like 'em. I've used nylon push nuts, fabbing some when I couldn't find the right size. Also a few areas using small rubber nipples. After enough hassles with every pal I have not securing (have a lot of them) these have worked nicely for me.

Hey Ron, I also just used nylon nuts in place of the stupid pal nuts on the studs.

Thread file maybe?

Hmm - anyone know the pitch of the studs in question?

Speed nuts do not use any standard thread so replacing them with a standard nut is out of the question. And you'd never get a die on those studs anyway.

"Non-standard thread." How does stuff like this happen? Wouldn't it cost more to invent a new thread and have it manufactured, then to pull an existing stud with a standard thread off the shelf?

I have sourced a lot of different speed nuts from a company called Aircraft Spruce. Sometimes it took a little trial and error, but I always found ones to match up to the weird non-standard thread on the fasteners. Nylon or nylock nuts will work, but again, trial and error. There are no dies that I am aware of for that thread.

Time to put things back together - what pal nuts/lock nuts are the best option for the 72 dash pad?

08_pal_nuts_01.JPG

Found these new Mopar speed nuts with two teeth instead of one - they work a lot better than the old ones. I was able to get one to tighten down to the bad stud for the driver's side fresh air vent.

Auto Transport Service
Back