• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repo Oil Filter Adaptor Plates = big leaks

Chris Many

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the 318 on my 70 Satellite Conv project, I ended up replacing the oil adapter plate because the original one was pitted. I bought a repo kit that came with the gasket and fitting as well. I was pretty excited when it came time for me to start the engine for the first time as it was a nice sunny day and I would be able to drive it around for the first time in 40 years or so. Nope. The engine started up right away (yahoo) and after about 5 minutes of idling I discovered a huge ever-growing puddle of oil on the garage floor (not so yahoo).

It was leaking around the oil filter adapter plate. I took the plate off after the engine cooled. It looked like it didn't seal well all the way around the gasketed area. So I ordered an NOS one and did a side-by-side comparison. The pictures are included in this post. So it turns out that the repos are recessed in the center by >0.060" more than the NOS ones. Since I boogered up the threads on the fitting and needed another gasket, I ordered another kit from a different source and that oil filter adaptor plate was off too. Hence my statement about repos in general.

So basically if you need to replace an oil filter adaptor plate you should look for NOS or buy yourself 3 gaskets.........

oil adapter plate NOS.jpg

oil adapter plate repo.jpg

Repro parts are a gamble. Sometimes the manufacturing processes to make them are below OEM. Repro stuff like that part should have been an easy one.

Saw on FB you got it going. Congrats.

Did you see this leak when priming the oil pump with the drill?

did you break in the camshaft for 30 minutes @2500 RPM?
No, I didn't. pressure was probably too low. I did break in the camshaft and made sure I used non-synthetic oil and a bottle of zinc additive.

Just saw an aftermarket replacement machined out of solid aluminum...

I just installed one. The supplied gasket was not thick enough. The center of the plate bottomed out on the center boss before it clamped the gasket. A thicker gasket worked perfrct. No leaks.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back